Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rblaas
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ronald Blaas

Need Help Setting up Veaam

Post by rblaas »

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and already lost :)

Let met explain our situation.
We are in the process of virtualizing our physical server park. We use VMware ESXi5.1 as the hypervisor running on three hosts.

We used to use Netvault Backup. This is a good product with many options. And although we can keep using this software there are better ways now with VMWARE.

One of the better ways is Veaam Backup.
Now here is my problem.
I have a fileserver, a windows 2012 Datacenter server, with a spanned volume of 6TB. (3x2TB VMDK) I have read that Veaam backpup & Recovery 6.5 does support GPT disks and Dynamic disks as well as spanned volumes. But I cannot seem to get the FLR running. Which I have also read that it should work.
Am I mistaken here or am I doing something wrong?

Then I would like to know if it is possible to just add a NFS repository to Veaam. I find it confusing to use a share on a different machine for the backup repository. Why not a direct NFS connection?

Maybe there is a different /better approche to use for backupping a 6TB fileserver ?

Any info is welcome.

If more info is needed please ask.

Kind regards,

Ronald
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Need Help Setting up Veaam

Post by foggy »

Ronald, what FLR functionality do you use - Windows native FLR or Multi-OS FLR? Multi-OS FLR does not support spanned dynamic disks (as per release notes).

Answering your second question, there is no ability to add NFS repository directly to Veeam (mounting NFS shares to Windows servers is not considered a good practice). All possible types of backup repositories are outlined in the sticky FAQ topic.

Thanks!
rblaas
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ronald Blaas

Post by rblaas »

I think I am using the windows native FLR. but I am not sure.

I try to restore using the Guest File (Windows) option to restore. And when I do that I do not see the volume
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Normally, Windows native FLR from spanned disks should work with v6.5. If you are using the latest version and observing this behavior, I recommend to contact our technical team for investigation.