Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
LeoJBI
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Leo Hernandez

Periodic backups???

Post by LeoJBI »

I had a question regarding the ability to schedule when full backups occur.

Here is what I am attempting to accomplish:
We would benefit greatly by increasing the frequency of our database backups. Currently, I backup them up each night. I would like to add in a backup session in the middle of the day when everyone breaks for lunch. However, I only have the time to complete an incremental. Therefore, I need to make certain that when a full backup occurs, that they take place in the evening or on the weekend.

I discovered within the backup job the section regarding schedule options. "Periodically", seems to be the choice I want to make but I am not certain how it works? Hence, how can I schedule the job to run at Noon and after hours?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Periodic backups???

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Leo,

If I were you I would do full backups only once a week, there is no need to schedule it every night, however it depends on your backup policies and regulations. Here is a good topic where you can find recommended full backup schedules for each processing mode: How often do I need a full backup?

As regards the option which is called "Periodically", then it starts your backup job every X hours or minutes right after your apply option in the job settings. Here is an existing discussion for further reading: Feature Request - Start time on Jobs

To run full backups on a particular day, just open backup job settings, navigate to Storage, then Advanced -> Backup -> enable Active Full Backup checkbox.

Hope this helps!