Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
JosueM
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Josue Maldonado

Schedule changing next run time itself

Post by JosueM »

Hello,

This is weird, I have a replication that runs each 4 hours, the time windows is from 12:05PM-1:00PM, 5:00PM-6:00PM, 10PM-06AM (next day). The job usually takes one hour or less, but the weird is the jobs changes itself the next run for the 5:00pm window and skips to 10:00PM.

Version is 6.5.0.109. Any idea what could be happening?

Thanks in advance
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Schedule changing next run time itself

Post by foggy »

Josue, I suppose the issue is that the schedule is calculated from the first job run time and the second run should be +4h from that time. Probably it is outside the 5:00PM-6:00PM period of your backup window.
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM »

Hello foggy,

After runing the 12:05PM Job it automatically sets next run time to 5:05pm but somehow later (about 30 minutes before the 5:00pm that was the time I saw the console again) it was changed to 10:05PM.

And with respect you appreciation counting that the jobs starts at 12:05pm from that point to 5:05pm elapses 5 hours. At least VB is taking the job ending time to calculate the next runtime instead the job starting time.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

JosueM wrote: And with respect you appreciation counting that the jobs starts at 12:05pm from that point to 5:05pm elapses 5 hours. At least VB is taking the job ending time to calculate the next runtime instead the job starting time.
And there you go. Your job is missing the allowed time window. So with every 4hrs counting from 12:05pm the next run should be at 4:05pm, then 8:05pm and then 12:05 am. As 4:05pm isn't within your allowed range your job skips to the next window. But from 5:00pm to 6:00pm isn't within the next job cycle of 4hrs :)

Just change your second window from 5:00pm - 6:00pm to 4:00pm - 5:00pm and your are good to go.
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM »

It just happened now , here the screenshots.
Histor Job Log (the job with the arrow I did change manually back so it could be run at the expected 5:05pm)
The correct next runtime
The changed next runtime

Then edited the job just went to schedule (no change made) clicked finish and it set it back to 12:05pm.

Any idea what could be wrong with this scheduling? thanks in advance.
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic » 1 person likes this post

Mmmmmh how is the setting of your automatic retry? is it set to default of 3 times with a wait time of 10minutes?

This could maybe explain why he's skipping your time window starting at 5:05pm about 30minutes before the job starts. Could you try to set the automatic retry to lets say 6 or 7 times?

*Edit*
I think i've got it :D

Lets assume the following:

The first run was at 12:05pm. As you've setup the job to run every 4hrs the next run should be at 4:05pm. But it cant run as it isn't within the allowed time window. Now the job is going to do a retry. By default it's set to 3 retries with a wait time of 10mins between. So he's trying at 4:15pm, 4:25pm and finally at 4:35pm. Then he's giving up. But now according to your setting the next run will be at 8:35pm. This isn't within the allowed time window. So he fails again to run. And again the job does its retries. 8:45pm, 8:55pm and finally at 9:05pm. Next run is at 1:05am. And this is within your time window. Now lets see what will happen later on.

1:05am successfull run
5:05am successfull run

Next time windows is from 12:05pm - 1:00pm

9:05am cant run as not within the time window
9:15am cant run as not within the time window
9:25am cant run as not within the time window
9:35am cant run as not within the time window

And now he's skipping to 5:05 as the next run should be

1:35pm cant run as not within the time window
1:45pm cant run as not within the time window
1:55pm cant run as not within the time window
2:05pm cant run as not within the time window
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM »

Hello Cokovic ,

You did a good analysis but if that is the case then scheduling system on VB is not working properly cuz it should not consider times in the no available window.

I was familiar with backup exec where you inclusive could see all the future scheduled times by day,week or month so its easier for the admin to plan the jobs according avoiding overlaps. If there is away to ask for a such feature to the VB team I would do.

Also a start at especific time would be great for scheduling.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It might be worth taking a look at this topic regarding “start at specific time” feature.

However, PowerShell script responsible for starting your Job along with Windows Scheduler should answer your requirements.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

JosueM wrote:Hello Cokovic ,

You did a good analysis but if that is the case then scheduling system on VB is not working properly cuz it should not consider times in the no available window.

I was familiar with backup exec where you inclusive could see all the future scheduled times by day,week or month so its easier for the admin to plan the jobs according avoiding overlaps. If there is away to ask for a such feature to the VB team I would do.

Hi Josue,

totally agree with you. This feature has been reuqested several times and i hope they will do something here in one of the next releases. But so far it's just the way it works. We will just have to be a little bit patient. Veeam listens to his customers and they are doing a great job ;)

Anyway as a workaround you could use the solution Eremin suggested in the previous post.