Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Possible way to Restore Mailbox of Exchange 2007

Post by habibalby »

Hello,
I have an old backup of my exchange 2007, what are the possible ways to restore couple of mailboxes from this backup?

I have created sure backup/ apps group, virtual lab, but when I launch the exchange Uair, it doesn't restore as it require exchange 2010.

Any help?
Thanks,
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Possible way to Restore Mailbox of Exchange 2007

Post by veremin »

Your post seems to puzzle me a little bit, since Exchange U-AIR does support Exchange 2007 along with many other versions,

In contrast, Veeam Exchange Explorer requires Exchange 2010. So, may it be that you’ve confused two tools provided by VB&R?

Thanks.
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Yes, that was my confusion. So, this is the correct way to restore single mailbox with sureBackup ?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Yes, firstly you need to be sure that a corresponding SureBackup job has been configured properly along with components that are going to be used.

Here is a short list of what should be taken into account:

1.Enterprise license or valid trial one is necessary, otherwise, you won’t be able to utilize U-AIR.

2.There is an Exchange Server and all VMs on which Exchange is dependent in your application group. In order to restore from MS Exchange, a Domain Controller that acts as a Global Catalog and that has user’s accounts whose mailboxes you’re willing to restore should be added to the application group.

3.The right startup order also needs to be defined. Domain Controller should be started before Microsoft Exchange.

4.You have a virtual lab in which Microsoft Exchange and the Domain Controller should be started. The network settings of your production environment should be mirrored in your Virtual Lab.

5.Application groups, as well as, virtual lab are specified in the SureBackup job properties. It might be worth to start and test SureBackup job firstly and see whether it works fine and VMs in the application group are started.

6.You have backups of all VMs (DC, Exchange) that are likely to take part in the restore process.

For more information regarding this process please see corresponding User Guides( VB&R VMware, VB&R U-AIR).

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby » 2 people like this post

Hi,
Due to this task was very important to achieve, I couldn't focus much on the SureBackup and Single item or Mailbox restoration with SureBackup. But, here how I have resolved the issue on time.

Firstly, I would say "Many Thanks for the Instant Recovery Feature" which is provided by Veeam Backup & Replication, it really helps me out to restore whatever I need from my Exchange Server 2007.

1. Restored Domain Controller as an Instant Recovery, pointed to another Datastore and unchecked the PowerOn and Connect to Network.
2. Restored CAS/HUB Server as an Instant Recovery, pointed to another Datastore and Unchecked the PowerOn and Connect to Network.
3. Restored the Mailbox Server as an Instant Recovery, pointed to another Datastore and Unchecked the PowerOn and Connect to Network.

This left me with VMs that ready to be powered on; I have created a vSwitch without outbound interfaces, created a portgroup internally and edited the VMs network settings to be pointed to the InternalOnly PortGroup.

1. I booted the DC, it started restoring and entered the DSRM mode and it rebooted automatically. I checked the event viewer and it's healthy DC.
2. I've created one client Windows 7 and put it part of the InternalOnly portgroup and configured an IP same as the rest of the servers IP range.
3. I joined the Windows 7 client to the domain and it's joined without any issue, I logged in with my username and old password and it successuly authenticated :)
4. I booted the HUB/CAS Server it booted and all the MS Exchange Services are up :)
5. I booted the Mailbox Server, initially it gives a problem with the information store, I rebooted the server I opps, I can't logged into the domain. So, it lost the domain authentication.
6. I logged in locally to the Mailbox Server and dis joined it from the Domain, then I reset the computer account of the Mailbox Server in the domain controller and I rejoined again.
7. Rebooted the Exchange Mailbox Server and luckily, all the services are up and running :)
8. I opened up the OWA from the Windows 7 Client and it came up without any issue.
9. I started restoring the mailboxes using Windows 7 Client with MS Outlook, Export to PST and all went fine :)

Thanks once again to the Instant Recovery Feature and to the Veeam Team.

Regards,