Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Astirian
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daragh Wickham

Migrate to Production... & Reboot Loops.

Post by Astirian »

Hi guys,

We've resurrected a VM but we were keen to test it out first so we ran an instant recovery, renamed the server and disabled the network settings. Unfortunately, this test server is stuck in a reboot loop (which seems to be happening in our SureBackup test jobs too: Case ID 00174338).

Anyway, in the short term we're considering migrating the backup to production. My question is, will that remove the initial server and its vmdk files and replace them with the backup versions essentially completing the restore or will it create "new" vmdk files for the renamed copy?

Also, why are our test restore jobs rebooting every couple of minutes, is it because of poor network performance from our NAS where the backups live? We're on the latest 6.5.0.128 build...

Many thanks in advance for your input!
Astirian
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daragh Wickham

Re: Migrate to Production... & Reboot Loops.

Post by Astirian »

Just as an addendum to this, I read something similar in another forum post about vSphere re-registering the VM to other hosts causing reboots. Interestingly, my VM ended up on a different host than the one I specified... Also, the 40Gb capacity of the Veeam datastore was exceeded by 168Gb which introduced some exciting new problems.

Anyway, I realised I should have tried a Full VM Recovery as that lets me select what datastore I wanna plonk my recovered VM onto, which I guess sort of answers part of my original post... I think. If I created a copy with a different name in a different location, then surely it wouldn't overwrite the busted VM?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Migrate to Production... & Reboot Loops.

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Daragh, if you involve Veeam B&R's Quick Migration feature to migrate instantly recovered VM to production, it will create a new VM on the datastore specified as the migration target and register it in vSphere environment.
Astirian wrote:If I created a copy with a different name in a different location, then surely it wouldn't overwrite the busted VM?
That's correct.