Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Ludoc
Novice
Liked: never

Start VM on specific VM network at target host?

Post by Ludoc »

Hi!

I have a question regarding the use of B&R as a disaster recovery solution.

I'm replicating 8 servers, one of which is a DC. I have been testing the failover-function and what I'm having a problem with is making sure the VM's start up on a specific virtual network, different from the one it is replicated to.

Is this possible? Manually changing the replica from VM Network A to VM Network B before engagin the failover on the B&R server obviously won't work since B&R will reconfigure the image to use the former VM Network A.

Thanks in advance!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Start VM on specific VM network at target host?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ludoc,

I might be missing something in your post, but why can't you use our built-in functionality to change VM network for replication jobs? For more details please take a look at our User Guide (page 138).

Thanks!
Ludoc
Novice

Post by Ludoc »

Hi and thanks for the reply. My description is probably not very clear, I'll try again;

We want to keep all IP-adresses the same and simply switch from one vSwitch (the one used for the replication jobs) to another (used in testing and as a future disaster recovery environment). They will have a different public IP to allow for VPN-access in case of emergency.
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

Absolutely you can do virtual network remapping with Veeam with or without changing the ip addresses.

Just choose the "separate virtual networks (enable network remapping)" check box from the Name screen of the replication job settings. Instructions plus a screen shot here http://www.veeam.com/vmware-backup/help ... a_job.html
Ludoc
Novice

Post by Ludoc »

Excellent, thank you. Been reading the manual closely, but apparently not quite close enough.

Again, thank you for the assistance!