Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mtsi
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: MTSI

Vlab intermittent internet access

Post by mtsi »

Hi,

We are currently troubleshooting an issue with VEEAM support and they are so far unhelpful. We are trying to setup a SureBackup Vlab to test patching on a SharePoint farm. We would like to be able to access the internet through this vlab and that is a supported feature via the vlab proxy. We are having a problem with intermittent internet access. We can ping out from the proxy but only get about 4 packets in reply and then the connection drops. There is a firewall in place but we have verified that all traffic to and from the vlab proxy is going through. We have even troubleshot the issue with our ISP (XO) and they don't know of any reason why this would be happening. Has anyone seen this issue in their environment?

Thanks,

MTSI
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Vlab intermittent internet access

Post by foggy »

So, just to make it clear: you have configured Internet access from your virtual lab but cannot access external resources from VMs in it? Have you tried to turn off the firewall completely? What is the result of the tracert command run on the VMs in the lab?
mtsi
Novice

Post by mtsi »

Thanks for the response. Yes, we have configured Internet access from inside the Virtual lab. Veeam support confirmed it was setup correctly.

We cannot turn off the firewall as it is a production, hardware firewall. We have not run tracert commands because we cannot even get basic connectivity working (ie. via ping). As I said, when trying to ping any outside source, it lets the first 4 packets go outbound, and then they all begin failing. We discovered this because when we initially tried to go to a webpage from one of the VM's, it would load the first site we tried to access. However any site we tried to reach after that would fail. We then discovered the same type of behavior with simple ping tests. We are 99% sure that it is not the perimeter firewall causing it because we are logging all traffic on the firewall, and traffic from those VM's shows as being allowed outbound, then it simply stops. There are no denial messages.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

mtsi wrote:We have not run tracert commands because we cannot even get basic connectivity working (ie. via ping). As I said, when trying to ping any outside source, it lets the first 4 packets go outbound, and then they all begin failing.
Since some packets do reach their destination, I think tracert still could be helpful in determining the point where the rest of the packets are lost.

Btw, what is your support case ID?
mtsi
Novice

Post by mtsi »

Hi foggy, our support case ID is 00163383. I will work on getting some tracerts.

Thanks,
MTSI
mtsi
Novice

Post by mtsi »

foggy,

tracert is unsuccessful from inside a VM. It replies with request timed out. Support told us that ping is disabled outbound on the proxy. I would assume tracert is the same way.

I attempted another ping directly from the proxy (ping Google DNS at 8.8.8.8). I get 4 replies, and the rest get dropped. The proxy does not have a tracert utility of any kind, so there is no way for me to test that functionality.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hmm... hard to say, as this capability was introduced long ago and so far we haven't heard any issues on it. What does our support team say on this? I see that your case was closed due to no response from you.
mtsi
Novice

Post by mtsi »

Hi Vitality S,

Support asked us to troubleshoot with our ISP, XO, as they didn't see any issues with VEEAM. I troubleshot a few time with XO but they could not find any problems. I have reopened the case with VEEAM support this morning and am awaiting a call back from them to troubleshoot. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
MTSI