Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SmartPP
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Cheng Peng

Veeam Backup error

Post by SmartPP »

Hi,

I am currently evaluating Veeam Backup and Replication, so far it worked great for us.

However, since a few days ago, we found some weird errors on the backup log, which caused the backup to fail.

We are performing a VM backup using the SAN mode, with VCB installed on the computer where Veeam runs.
Here is the error:

Completing current object backup process VCB error: Other error encountered: SSL Exception: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0) Error: Failed to open the disk: Unspecified error An error occurred, cleaning up...

Sometimes, after a few retries, it starts to work. :evil:

Just wondering if any guys here know what's going on? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

PP
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Re: Veeam Backup error

Post by Ben Milligan »

SmartPP - Something may be incorrect with your VCB configuration. You can go to Help|Support Information to find he job log for this job, and find "VCBmounter.exe" to where the VCBmounter command is performed. It is a good idea to test it manually to confirm that VCB is working correctly.

It should look something like this:
C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\vcbMounter.exe -h virtualcenter.name.local -u DOMAIN\USERNAME -p <PASSWORD> -a moref:VMREF-ID -r "<PATH>" -t fullvm -m SAN -M 1 -F 1 -L 3

If you need assistance in testing your VCB job manually, please don't hesitate to advise support at veeam.com for some help. Please gather your logs from Help|Support Information when sending this mail to our support for the quickest response.

Thanks!
-Ben
SmartPP
Novice

Post by SmartPP »

Thanks Ben.

I will try the manually way as well.

one thing though, if the VCB is not set up correctly, how come some other VMs on the same hosts can be backed up?
SmartPP
Novice

Post by SmartPP »

Just tried VCB backup, it worked, no issues.
Then I tried Veeam, this time there is no errors on the log, and the Job executed successfully.

And I grabbed the logs from previous backup, there was no VCBMounter errors as well.

What a weird thing, but thanks very much for your help, Ben. I will email the Veeam support next time I have the error log files.
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Post by Ben Milligan »

Please do, we definitely want to be able to assist. Interesting that this is intermittent, we definitely would want to review logs in detail should you incur the issue again, and subsequent manual run is successful.

Thanks!