Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
PaulVM
Influencer
Liked: never

VSS best practice?

Post by PaulVM »

With Veeam 6.1 what is best practice around VSS for Windows 2003 and Windows 2008R2 VM's

Should I have both Enable VMWare Tools Quiescence and Enable Application Image Aware Processing enabled?

This seems unclear from other posts from years back.

What should I do for Linux? VMTools only given it doesn't have VSS. Would this work with MySQL Databases?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VSS best practice?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Paul,
PaulVM wrote:This seems unclear from other posts from years back
The best practice hasn't changed since then, we still recommend to use VSS for all Windows VMs, for Linux VMs enable VMWare Tools Quiescence.
PaulVM wrote:Should I have both Enable VMWare Tools Quiescence and Enable Application Image Aware Processing enabled?
Please take a look a this topic for the answer: Backup job with Unix and Windows (Options)
PaulVM wrote:Would this work with MySQL Databases?
Please search these forums for existing topics around MySQL backup techniques > http://forums.veeam.com/search.php?st=p ... ipts+mysql

Thanks!
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

[MERGED] Should AAIP be enabled on all Windows servers?

Post by wa15 »

Hello all, I did look at the FAQ on this subject but didn't find the answer so here we go:

1. Is it best practice to have Veeam Application Aware Image Processing enabled on ALL Windows servers? Referring to NON-SQL/Exchange/Databases boxes. For AAIP options for such servers, we would set the options to "ignore application processing failures" and "do not truncate logs". Is this okay?

2. If we have Linux VM's/virtual appliances and Windows VM's in one backup job, is it okay to have AAIP enabled on the entire backup job? What happens when AAIP gets to a virtual appliance running Linux?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Farshid, please review this thread and the threads referred to in the post above for the answers. Feel free to ask for additional clarification, once it is required.
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

@ foggy, thank you.

So looks like enabling AAIP for ALL servers is recommended, along with the "ignore application processing failures" and "do not truncate logs" for non-sql and non-exchange servers. This would make it so that when AAIP fails for Linux based VM's, Vmware quiescence will still take place.

Though it might make more sense if we separate Linux VMs.

Please do correct me if I am wrong!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Your understanding is correct.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Selecting "Do not truncate logs" is not necessary, since logs truncation is effective for SQL and Exchange VMs only.
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

Thank you all.

@ Foggy, there are some servers that are running SQL express standalone on them so that was the main reason I thought "do not truncate logs" should be selected. Is my reasoning correct?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If you do not need the logs to be truncated for them during Veeam B&R backup, then you can select this option.