Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CWSI
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Philip Harrison

Is it possible to blank a backup jobs' files

Post by CWSI »

Hi guys,

Quick question, I've searched the forums a few times but never found an answer. I have a few reverse incremental backup jobs setup to backup to local storage. I moved some VMs around etc. and ended up with some duplication in the backup jobs and filled the backup store. I don't have a long retention so I'd like to just delete the vbk/vbr files and let Veeam (6.1) run full backups again, however having tried this before it didn't seem to work and I'm concerned that Veeam may think it has a full backup there that it no longer has because I deleted it! I could just delete the job and set it up again but there are quite a few VMs and exclusions so if there was a simpler way it would be great! I previously tried turning the retention down to 1 day and running the job but this didn't work. So is there a quick and nasty way to just wipe-out the backup files and start again?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Is it possible to blank a backup jobs' files

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Philip,

If you want to remove backup files, you can either adjust retention policy settings (restore points are removed at the end of the job) or you can right click on the backup file/VM within the backup console (backups node) and click on the delete from disk option. If you have any issues with either of these ways, please contact our support team for assistance.

P.s. removing backup files (at least VBK file) for reversed incremental backup mode will indeed fail you backup job due to missing files error.

Thanks!
CWSI
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Philip Harrison

Re: Is it possible to blank a backup jobs' files

Post by CWSI »

Remove from disk did it thanks!