Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
will906617
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Will

User self manage interface

Post by will906617 »

HI,

We have a multitenant hosting environment. Is there such a interface that users can manage backup/restore or just restore themselves instead of calling support?

I know the enterprise manager but looks more like for helpdesk and doesnt have limited user privilige. Either see all or nothing. We just want user to see their own VMs not others'.

Thanks,
Will
timmy.olsson@nibe.se
Novice

Re: User self manage interface

Post by timmy.olsson@nibe.se »

This is something I would like to know as well. As I understand all you can restrict is filetypes today?

Regards

//Timmy
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Will, currently, it is not possible to limit the scope of VMs that can be used for restore operations, but thanks for the feedback, this feature makes total sense to me too.
will906617
Novice
Full Name: Will

Post by will906617 »

Hi Vitaliy,

I thought so too, but just wanna to hear from you so that I can get back to clients in case I missed something. We have a growing needs that clients want to do things themselves for whatever reasons. Since you have the self-serve services like VCD, it will be nice that they can do backup themselves one day. For the time being, guess the best we can do is to fire up a FLR appliance with FTP then users can do the restore themselves.

Also with more SME doing visualization, self-serve might help to setup backup and replication a lot easier like a offsite cloud backup solution to a DR site.

Thanks,
Will
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I fully agree with this. ;)
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

When you say "Their VMs", do they have a separate account in your environment that if they log into vSphere with, they only see X VMs and not other's VMs?
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.