Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rickyxt
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Landen

Remote backup configuration

Post by rickyxt »

I'm currently trialing Veeam to back up our vSphere environment to local (site A) and remote (site B) storage. The current configuration as follows:

1 x B&R server at site A (VM)
1 x Proxy server at site A (VM)
1x QNAP NAS presented via iSCSI to proxy and assigned as repository for local backup.

Currently there is a domain controller at site B that is very under utilized and just used to serve DNS and login requests for the users at that site. I have created a folder on the local disk (for testing) and made this a repository for our off site backups. Everything works well and Veeam fully utilizes the WAN link between the site.

My question is would I get better performance (compression and de-dup) if I had a proxy at the remote site or does this not make a difference?

Thanks,

Richard
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Remote backup configuration

Post by dellock6 »

A remote proxy is needed to optimize "replica" jobs, in backup jobs you could install a "repository" role on that remote windows server, thus optimizing backup job over wan link.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
rickyxt
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Landen

Post by rickyxt »

Thanks Luca. This has clarified what I thought, that placing a proxy at the remote site wont increase the performance of the backup job.

Richard
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Just for the purpose of complete understanding.

Veeam B&R is using two-agent based architecture. And all of features like throttling rules, compression, etc, are implemented between them.
In case of remote replication, these features would be implemented between two proxy servers; in case of backup, between a backup proxy and a repository; in case of backup to an SMB share between a backup proxy and a proxying Windows server.

So, as Luca has already said, compression is being used already, thus, there wouldn’t be any performance improvement by adding remote proxy server.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.