Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
JosueM
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Josue Maldonado

Two replication jobs for the same VM

Post by JosueM »

Hello everyone.

We have a big appserver (sql2008) that replicates once in the night every day to another server, that VM basically has 3 vmdks, one for OS, other for SQLDATA and the third to store local SQL backups (FULL/DIFF/LOG).

I have one job on veeam that replicates OS and SQLDATA vmdks excluding backup disk. I did create another replication job from same source VM excluding OS and SQLDATA and replicating only the BACKU disk to the same destination vm replica used in the first job (configure replica seeding in both jobs).

Now problem is each replication job now calculates disk digest for all the source VM disk including the ones that I have set has excluded forthe job wich takes pretty much time, is there any way Veeam could only process the included disks on the job or is there any other way to achieve what I'm trying to do? thanks in advance
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Two replication jobs for the same VM

Post by foggy »

Josue, I'm not actually sure that the described scenario should work correctly at all. Having two different replication jobs mapped to the same target VM should give you a complete mess on the target. What is the reason behind such configuration?
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM »

Hello Foggy, thanks for reply. The idea is to replicate in a single job the OS and SQLDATA disks once a day in night then replicate on separate job the disk that contains the sqlbackups only. that way if something goes wrong I could recovery the entire server and also recover until the sql backup that was made to the backup disk.

In other words:
1 replication job once a day for OS and SQLDATA
Many replications jobs during the day of the sql backup disk trying to reduce the amount of possible data loss (every one hour for example or less if possible)

Thanks.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Maybe is more simple to do like this:
- Veeam replication job for OS and SQLDATA disks, with reconfiguration of the vmx file on destination to remove references to SQLBACKUP disks
- a replica made with robocopy or something similar directly from the Guest OS towards a CIFS share located in the DR site

When you need to failover, you power up the VM with the two disks, and inside the guest OS you import the backups directly from the cifs share. It would give you no delay in recovery since even with the third disk connected, you would have to restore database from the backups.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM »

Hi dellock6,

I'll consider your proposal if there is no way do it with Veeam. BTW where in the job settings this can be done: "with reconfiguration of the vmx file on destination to remove references to SQLBACKUP disks"

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

VM configuration should be automatically edited during replication to reflect excluded disks.