Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Magz
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Magne Stenwig

Backups fail after applying MS System Center VMM SP1

Post by Magz »

I have Veeam B&R 6.5 installed and are backing up our Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V VM's with it. I use the System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager, and have chosen my backuptargets in Veeam by pointing to our VMM-server. This has worked very well for several months.

Two days ago I applied the VMM 2012 Servicepack 1 to my environment. After this, all backups are failing without any specific error. In the Veeam GUI it says 'Creating Snapshot ....' OK, but the next message is 'Job has failed. See logs for details'

Everything seems to work okay if I create new jobs, but I wish to avoid this because of diskspace-restrictions in our repository. I have rebooted the Veeam-servers without any effect.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get around this?

Kind Regards,
Magne
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backups fail after applying MS System Center VMM SP1

Post by foggy »

Magne, the actual reason should be clear from the job log, so I recommend to open a case for that issue. Some IDs could change during the upgrade, which resulted in the existing jobs failures. In our turn, we are currently building a lab for SP1 internal testing.

Anyway, you can map the new jobs to the existing backup files to continue the chain. The first pass of each new job will have to read the entire disks, but if you use reversed incremental mode, all the blocks would already be in the VBK and thus would be deduped (for forward incrementals, you will get huge first increment, however, the next active or synthetic full should return you back to the original backup size).

P.S. Just another reason to test all upgrades first!
Magz
Service Provider

Post by Magz »

Thank you for your answer foggy. I do use reversed incremental mode. How do I map a new job to the existing backup files?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

To set up job mapping, go to the Job Settings -> Storage, click the Map backup link and point to the necessary backup in the repository. Backups stored in a repository can be easily identified by job names.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Magz
Service Provider

Post by Magz »

Great, Thanks!