Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ddockter
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Doug Dockter

Scheduled job behavior

Post by ddockter »

Due to resource constraints I run my backup jobs sequentially using the feature to start a job after a previous one completes. Occasionally I need to rerun a failed job after succeeding jobs have already run. First I will remove the "start automatically after job completes" setting from the job next in sequence from the job I need to rerun. I then rerun the failed job. Upon successful completion I re-enable the "start automatically after job completes" setting on the job next in sequence. But that job then starts up. How can I prevent this from happening?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Scheduled job behavior

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Doug,

Do you run failed jobs because the retries didn't work for some reason? Not sure there is a way to control it within the GUI, but let me check with dev team tomorrow. Most likely, this behavior is hard coded, as I have just reproduced it.

Thanks!
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Doug, why not do a simpler configuration like these? Schedule all your backup jobs to start at the same time, and configure proxy to only run 1 cuncurrent job. In this way all jobs are executed sequentially and every failed job is re-queued automatically. Already tested in many deployment and it works smoothly.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
ddockter
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Doug Dockter

Post by ddockter »

That is the way I used to do it prior to this new option being available. I'm doing it this way because I have the last job in the sequence start a Backup Exec job to copy the Veeam backups to tape for offsite storage.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Ok, got it. Well, problem is the last job of the chain will run the backup exec task even if some jobs inside the chain has failed and has to be retried. We need to find a workaround to this problem: a possible solution would be to do as in my previous post, and then have a powershell script to check if some backup job is still running, and then run BUE task only when no more job is in the executing state. I remember someone in this forum wrote something about this check, try to find the post...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1