Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
johnlockie
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Alert Email Notifications Tweaking...

Post by johnlockie »

Just recently updated to 6.5....

In previous version I could specificy whether we received email when a particular alert was triggered. While I see the notification options have been improved, it seems to have been changed to be a more general setting (global) rather than granular for alerts.

There are a couple alerts we do not want emails for (cause it spams our inbox), but we do not want to disable the alert for historical reasons (we want to track it).

Does anyone know how I can supress the email notifications while still keeping the alert active?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Alert Email Notifications Tweaking...

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi John,

You can still specify granular settings for each alarm, just add an additional rule to the actions list and select the severity level for the alarm in question. I do not have Monitor Client UI handy to check it, but you should be able to remove default notification group from the alarm notification list.

Thanks!
johnlockie
Enthusiast

Post by johnlockie »

Yeah, I don't think so....

The action list is empty. Yet it still emails the notification group. Because globally I have it set to monitor the entire infrastructure. I cannot select specific alerts in the global notification config screen either, but I can select OBJECTS, etc. But, for example if I disable the datastore object I lose all alerts via email. All I want to do is supress emails for the host datastore read latency.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hmm... If the actions list is empty then you shouldn't receive any notifications, are you sure you do not have any records there? Also can you please tell me what are the alarms you want to create email excludes for?
johnlockie
Enthusiast

Post by johnlockie »

I think I may have figured this out....

The alert is blank because that is how I had it setup before. This was the way I kept it from email, while it would still report in the monitor client, and log for us.

Veeam has added a new global alerting (Mission Critical) to VeeamONE. This is in addition to any individual alert notifications configured. I can setup a default group which applies to global Mission Critical alerts, etc. I can then create non-default email addresses and assign those on a "per alert" basis in the individual alert configuration windows.

I disabled Mission Critical all together, but should still get individual alert emails since most (all but two) of our alerts are setup to notify the "default group".

Veeam must have figured out a way to prevent duplicate alerts going out for those in the default group. Because in previous versions each alert was configured with a notification threshhold. Additionally, if you now configure Mission Critical then you will get alarms.

I will monitor this and post if I am right or wrong....I hope I am right :)
johnlockie
Enthusiast

Post by johnlockie »

While confusing....if it works this way it's actually more granular than it was in previous versions. So kudos...
johnlockie
Enthusiast

Post by johnlockie »

Ok quick update:

I disabled the global "mission critical" alert, but left the individual action items untouched. All but (4) of our alert types are set to email the default group. There are 4 people in that default group. Ever since disabling the mission critical alerts we are getting NO emails...

:(
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You shouldn't disable global "mission critical" notification policy, as it will "turn off" all email notifications and you already see this in your environment:
johnlockie wrote:Ever since disabling the mission critical alerts we are getting NO emails...
johnlockie wrote:In previous version I could specificy whether we received email when a particular alert was triggered. While I see the notification options have been improved, it seems to have been changed to be a more general setting (global) rather than granular for alerts.

There are a couple alerts we do not want emails for (cause it spams our inbox), but we do not want to disable the alert for historical reasons (we want to track it).
Again, I might be missing something, but why not to remove the default action from these alarms completely?
johnlockie
Enthusiast

Post by johnlockie »

The default action is removed. [edit] meaning: the alerts I do not want to get email on have NOTHING in default action.

But if I enable alerts at the "Mission Critical" level then it alerts on these too, even though there is NO default action....

My goal is to enable email notification for all but (2) of our alerts. Prior to 6.5 this was easy. I did what you suggested: remove action items. This way the alert showed up in the VeeamONE Monitor, but didn't spam our inbox. When I upgraded to 6.5 all the sudden we stopped receiving alerts. While troubleshooting this I clicked the "Notifications" button in VeeamONE Monitor. I saw a window I had not seen before (I assume it's new) for setting up mail server properties. I went ahead and left everything default, but configured the required email info for our organization. At this point we started getting alerts in our inbox, but that is when I saw we were getting alerts for the (2) I had removed actions for...

After reading some docs and posting here I thought maybe I need to modify the Mission Critical Notification Policy from the Notification configuration wizard. This screen allows only the selection of infrastructure objects, rather than individual alerts. If you read the "Notification Level" you can see it says "Send email notification on every alarm". Well, I do not want that. I assumed if I removed all infrastructure objects from this notification policy that the individual alert "action items" would still be valid. On the contrary, when I do this I get NO alerts. Even though all but (2) of our alerts have an action item of "send email to default group".

So you can see why I am confused. At the end of the day this is all I want to do:

Enable email notification on all but (2) alerts, without disabling the (2) alerts all together....
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

johnlockie wrote:But if I enable alerts at the "Mission Critical" level then it alerts on these too, even though there is NO default action....
It looks like a bug to me, can you please open a support case so that I could forward your case to our R&D team for further investigation?
johnlockie
Enthusiast

Post by johnlockie »

OK I will do that. Thanks.