Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dsimpkins
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel

VM reboots when attempting backup

Post by dsimpkins »

I have an issue when trying to backup one particular Win 2008 R2 server running a little application that runs some little unique database, possibly called 'paradox' (software refers to a folder called "Borland", or 'BDE'? it's a piece of software for a security system called 'Titan' by GE). Every time i try a backup through Veeam, it seems to try and do the usual take a snapshot process, but this in turn powers the VM off!

Error in Veeam: Unable to release guest. Error: RPC function call failed. Function name: [GetFreezeState]. Target machine: [10.153.248.53]. RPC error:The remote procedure call failed. Code: 1726
Error: RPC function call failed. Function name: [GetFreezeState]. Target machine: [10.153.248.53]. RPC error:The remote procedure call failed. Code: 1726

Error in vCenter: Create vm snapshot: The attempted operation cannot be performed in the current state (Powered Off)

Anything here i am doing incorrectly? VMware tools etc is all installed properly & up to date, the VM itself runs fine, the other veeam backup jobs work fine, the repository is fine, im a little stumped! Might not be a Veeam-specific problem, but Veeam does fail due to whatever's going on... any help greatly appreciated!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VM reboots when attempting backup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Daniel,

You need to take a look at VMware VM logs for further investigation, the logs are located in the home folder of your VM on the datastore. I believe you can reproduce this behavior even manually while trying to create the snapshot via vSphere Client.

Thanks!