Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mburesch
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Papenhagen

Best practice | Additional Backup to Cloud Storage

Post by mburesch »

Hi,

now we have a new Highspeed Internet connection and we would like to store our Veeam Backup Files on a Cloud Storage as additional Backup.

We found cheap cloud storage for example http://www.livedrive.com.
We can replicate a folder or can get a new driveletter.

What are best practices for this requirment?

Any suggestions for encryption? Use Truecrypt?

What are the best setings for the backup job?
Set-up a new VM with Veeam Backup to do this Job?
Whats about compression level?
Reversed inceremtenal vs. Incremental (Synthetic Full / Transform previous full backup chains into rollbacks)???
When to do Active full backup?
Settings für Storage optimizations?
Which retention period?

Best Regards,
Michael
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Best practice | Additional Backup to Cloud Storage

Post by veremin »

We found cheap cloud storage for example http://www.livedrive.com.
Though I don't have a chance to test abovementioned appliance, it might be worth implementing a local cloud target solution like Twinstrata. More information regarding it can be found in the corresponding topic or in document which is primarily concerned with VB&R, CloudArray best practise.
Reversed inceremtenal vs. Incremental (Synthetic Full / Transform previous full backup chains into rollbacks)???
In the aforesaid document it’s recommended to use "Forward Incremental mode with synthetic full". Using synthetic full backups allows you to limit the data transfer requirements to just the change rate.
Whats about compression level?
Since you are backing up over WAN, there is no doubt that "WAN target" option should be selected.
Any suggestions for encryption? Use Truecrypt?
As to encryption, please, take a look at the following ones:

http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4765
http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 33&p=66099

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

To do backups to a cloud storage, usually an object base storage, you need a "cloud gateway" like twinstrata or something else that can map that remote storage as a local resouce. I do not know the service you mentioned, but generally speaking, forward incremental is the right configuration to use, apart from this syntethic or even transform to me are to avoid, repository role in local while the storage space is in the remote system, so both those additional method create an heavy traffic. Plain forward mode to me is best.
Oh, and about Twinstrata, Vladimir I beg to differ, they are incredibly expensive if you look at what the offer, 5000 usd for the starter virtual appliance is really too much...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
adrian.woodrup
Influencer
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Adrian Woodrup

Post by adrian.woodrup »

You should look at Amazon storage with their Storage Gateway solution, this provides on-site disks as well as the replication to cloud. Well priced, reliable and easy to setup... or wait for today’s announcement on B&R Cloud Edition
leyonchung
Lurker
Full Name: Leyon Chung

Post by leyonchung »

Requirements vary from company to company so it is depends what requirements do you have. Not pretty much sure about Twinstrata because I am genuine cloud storage and online backup user and I rely on reliable solutions for the particular niche. I have used LiveDrive a couple of months earlier and the experience was simply a good one. I didn’t find any negative face of their service. However, if you want to explore more options then you can google around for best cloud storage options. I personally suggest services like; Dropbox, Box, SugarSync, JustCloud, Mozy, and etc… They all are good at what they do! So you can choose among these options to cater all your online backup and storage needs.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Uhm, not sure about many of the names you quoted. They are more targeted at file sharing, and their service is configured to act best with many small files. Veeam backups involve much less files, but each of them beeing tens or hundreds of GB, or even TB. I'm not sure these providers will handle correctly such huge files. On the other hand, services like Rackspace, AWS (S3 or Glacier) and few others are known to handle them correctly. Glacier at the moment is probably the best one around, based on the use case of backups.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
leyonchung
Lurker
Full Name: Leyon Chung

Post by leyonchung »

Not exactly though. These companies are not just popular for file sharing, synchronization of files/folders, but they are good in the domain of backup as well. Glacier is no doubt the best, but it is a bit expensive for SMB's. However, it is good for Large businesses, which i believe. Rest the experts can comment in a better way for best backup to cloud storage.