Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Fiskepudding
Expert
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Espen Dykesteen

Surebackup selecting an older restore point in the app.group

Post by Fiskepudding »

Is there way to select an older restore point when configuring the application group?

I my particular case i want two domian controllers and one other VM with outlook from today (this nights backup)
AND the exchange server from 1 week back.

How can I accomplish this.

When I select VMs for the application group I se all the restore points but can NOT select witch one to use.

And when using UAIR i can select a date, but i guess that appliles to all backups.

Lucky for me I have another backup-set that takes weekly full backups, so i can actually create the application gruop I want, by mixing the two.
But I would think there is a more elegant way to do this.
And this would not work if I wanted the excange to be 2 weeks old (since I can only select the latest)
And it would also not work if i needed to go 2 days back on the excange (since the other backup set only runs once a week)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Surebackup selecting an older restore point in the app.g

Post by foggy »

Espen, SureBackup job always fires up VMs both in application group and from the linked backup jobs from the latest restore point. The only option you have here is to specify the date to start the whole SureBackup environment closer to: right-click the job, select Start To in the short-cut menu, and select the desired date and time. In this case the SureBackup job will look for the backups closest to that date for all the VMs and start them from these backups.
Fiskepudding
Expert
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Espen Dykesteen

Post by Fiskepudding »

I understand. Thanx for the answer.

That would not solve this particular problem, But i see your point.
It would be nice, to have the option to "Start VM to..." (Not only "Start job to...") on every VM in the job or just the application group to start with :)
Might not be something an average user would need every day, but something to considder in an upcoming release?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yep, seems like some additional granularity could make sense here.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

I agree - using this backup date option is not great. I have two jobs, one backups up locally and one backups up offsite. My off site backup always runs later and I don't want to stream the restore over the WAN.

I can't schedule the Surebackup job on an application group because it will always want to use my offsite backup.

in addition - no matter what date/time I pick using the "Start to" I can't seem to get it to use anything other than the most recent backup
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

lobo519 wrote:in addition - no matter what date/time I pick using the "Start to" I can't seem to get it to use anything other than the most recent backup
There seems to be a bug with the "Start to" option. I've found that I have to set the "Start to" to a much earlier time to get it to use other points. My suspicion is that perhaps it may not be making a proper adjustment for timezone settings. I haven't filed this as a bug though.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

tsightler wrote:There seems to be a bug with the "Start to" option. I've found that I have to set the "Start to" to a much earlier time to get it to use other points. My suspicion is that perhaps it may not be making a proper adjustment for timezone settings. I haven't filed this as a bug though.
There is a known issue that it takes the closest by absolute value restore point, not the one right before the specified time.
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

foggy wrote: There is a known issue that it takes the closest by absolute value restore point, not the one right before the specified time.
What is considered the restore point? The Job start time or the VM backup start time?

Either way, it isn't working for me. I submitted a case #00179973
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The second.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

Wouldn't it be possible to start the DCs and the VM with Outlook within the application group without the Exchange and then after the Lab is running to do an InstantRecovery of the Exchange server right into the lab with the date needed?

As far as i remember tsightler mentioned such method before in one of his posts (i think it's a post a year ago).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

This workaround should work just fine.
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

Mystery solved - When I created the application group I selected "From VI" instead of "From Backup". Everything is work as expected now. :oops:

Thanks!