Management reporting and documentation
smi11796
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Marvin M. Smith

Host Security Settings ?

Post by smi11796 »

Will Reporter Enterprise allow me to pull off the security settings of each host in my ESX 3.5 U4 environment?

I need to provide the Security guys with documentation that I have configured settings such as local Accounts, Password Complexity, Aging and access.

From what I see of the product it looks like it gets its information from VCenter and I don't believe VC maintains that info.

Can someone point me at a pic of this type of report.

Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Host Security Settings ?

Post by Gostev »

Marvin, you are correct - vCenter does not collect or maintain such information, and we do not have such report yet. Theoretically it would be possible to do (SSH to ESX and query the required service console data). However, this would only work for "fat" ESX and not ESXi, and with VMware plans to stop developing "fat" version this would not be good future-proof solution :(
smi11796
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Marvin M. Smith

Post by smi11796 »

Could you elaborate on the process to retrieve the Password Complexity and Aging settings directly from the host?

Is that a Putty or VI Client connection to the host?

Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Putty, but unfortunately I am unable to provide the exact instructions, since we do not have such functionality and did not perform any research around this. But the process should be similar with performing this task on regular Linux server. You may want to Google on how people are doing this on Linux.