Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times

Disk exclusion question

Post by Yuki »

A follow up question:

So i've added a disk to be used by VSS for shadow copies and have excluded it from backups/replication. However, on the Veeam server i see a popup during backup asking if we want to fix "VSS Volume". I guess it still gets mounted during HotAdd backup and causes this popup on the Veeam server. Is that normal?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Disk exclusion question

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Yuki,

I've split the following conversation into the new discussion, as it is unrelated to the OP question and topic. Can you please confirm that you've started seeing this message right after adding new disk to the VM configuration?

Thanks!
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner

Post by Yuki »

Well,
the first run or two i didn't look at veeam console, so i'm not sure if it was presented (was relying on e-mail reports). But recently when looking at the console i did notice the pop-up window.

I've seen it before for other volumes, but i didn't expect it to come up during a backup when that particular volume was excluded.

Update: just noticed it on a replication job:

Disk being exluded is is SCSI ID (1:15)

Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Yuki,

Sorry for the late reply, but this is expected behavior for the hot add mode. Please check out this topic for further details: Hot Add Behavior

Thanks!
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner

Post by Yuki »

Ok, good to know. So it is the vStorage API that mounts all of the virtual drives, regardless of them being excluded in Veeam job.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Correct.