Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times

Synthetic fulls not happening

Post by Yuki »

Hey all,
So i've wanted to test out how long synthetic fulls would take on our multi-TB backups and NAS device. I've created the job and set to start transform on Friday. Friday comes around, backup rolls and i get another forward incremental with no transform. Otherwise everything runs fine.

This job is not scheduled, but run after another specific job that is kicked off manually. Would that be the cause of transform not starting on the scheduled day?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Synthetic fulls not happening

Post by Gostev »

Sounds possible. Did you notice when the job actually starts - on Friday, or may be Saturday night?
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times

Post by Yuki »

It kicked off on Friday and made an incremental. So after the job completed i've changed the job and set it to saturday. But instead of synthetic - it made another incremental. At this point we have 13 incrementals and 1 full. Incrementals amount to 1.3TB and full is at 2.8TB. I'm seriously concerned that trying to make a synthetic full now will take a week to process (which would prevent us from backing up the server since it stays in locked state until completion from what i understand).

We will probobably end up deleting all files in this chain and starting a fresh full, but would like to know what causes it not to make synthetic full, so we can run reliably (we are looking at this to decrease the daily backup window of reverse incrementals and maybe run synthetic starting friday night).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yuki wrote:It kicked off on Friday and made an incremental.
Just to double-check, are you sure that the chained job (the one you want transform for) is actually started on Friday? Transform should start if it is set to run at the day when the job is started.