Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
eiskra
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Edward Iskra

Cloud backup restores after subscription termination

Post by eiskra »

With the change from perpetual licensing to a subscription model, the following critical question immediately comes to mind for me, but I do not see it addressed:

Suppose a firm uses Veeam Cloud to write backups to a cloud provider for some time.
Then, for whatever reason, the firm decideds to change methodologies or infrastructure or outsource or whatever - and they stop doing backups with Veeam. They therefore end their Veeam Cloud subscription.
The firm maintains their actual cloud storage of the backups for archival purposes.
Finally, some time later, the firm comes across a need to restore the archival data from the cloud.

What provisions are in place to ensure that a firm can restore in this circumstance?
Under the perpetual licensing model, the path is fairly clear, but under the subscription model, it needs to be specifically addressed.
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Re: Cloud backup restores after subscription termination

Post by chrisdearden »

I should think you would be able to retrieve data without a licence, but will check. You also don't need a licence to do restores ( can use free edition )
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Edward, you are subscribing basically to a cloud gateway tool, not to the cloud storage itself. Once the backup files are uploaded to the cloud storage, you can retrieve them with whatever tool you want, regardless of having still Veeam Cloud Backup around. The main concern to me is about encryption keys and the ability to use them without the program...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi everyone,

Currently, restores and decryption requires a valid license key. The workaround is to just download trial and use the trial license, and we will look at removing valid license requirements for performing restores in the next product update.

Thanks!