Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
floh-erfurth
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Florian Erfurth

Hourly Backup: "Reversed incremental" or "Incremental"?

Post by floh-erfurth »

Hi, I want setup a hourly backup which kepts 48 backups (=> 2 day hourly backup).

I'm not sure which of both suits better for hourly backup: "Reversed incremental" or "Incremental"? I think "Reversed incremental".

cu Floh
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Hourly Backup: "Reversed incremental" or "Incremental"?

Post by veremin »

Before making a final decision, please be aware that forward incremental might be faster than reversed incremental due to 3x less I/O on target. So, it seems reasonable to use it if reversed incremental mode doesn’t confine itself in one hour window.

As a side effect you'll have to perform synthetic full backup or active full backup on regular basis.

Thanks.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

And "maybe" both active full or synthetic will last more than one hour, and in that case you will miss one or more hourly schedule. Even without knowing the size and change ratio of your infrastructure, hourly reverse incremental is a lot, unless you correctly size your backup proxy and most of all the target storage.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
floh-erfurth
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Florian Erfurth

Post by floh-erfurth »

Hi Eremin,
thank you very much! :)
So I should use forward incremental. What about "enable synetics full"? I was thinking of ticking all days (Mo - Su) but... does this mean all backups of marked day will be full or only the first one? Or shall I just disable synetics full?

Btw. I already have a daily backup of that machine and now I want create new job for daily, and monthly, so I have 3 different backup jobs of that vm. Is that the proper way, or is there a way to create a job for hourly, daily and monthly?
v.Eremin wrote:As a side effect you'll have to perform synthetic full backup or active full backup on regular basis.
Sorry... I didn't understand what you mean.

cu Floh
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

floh-erfurth wrote:What about "enable synetics full"? I was thinking of ticking all days (Mo - Su) but... does this mean all backups of marked day will be full or only the first one? Or shall I just disable synetics full?
There is no need to tick every day to run synthetic full, as each day Veeam backup server will attempt to assemble full backup file based on your increments and previous full. And it's not a good idea, if you want to run backup job every hour, so I completely agree with Luca - 1 hour might just not be enough to perform this task.
floh-erfurth wrote:Btw. I already have a daily backup of that machine and now I want create new job for daily, and monthly, so I have 3 different backup jobs of that vm. Is that the proper way, or is there a way to create a job for hourly, daily and monthly?
Currently this is the only way to achieve what you're after.
floh-erfurth wrote:Sorry... I didn't understand what you mean.
Vladimir was referring to that fact that you will have to run active full or synthetic full backup at least once a week, and I guess it's not exactly what you would like to do given your 1-hour backup window.
floh-erfurth wrote:So I should use forward incremental.
Actually I would recommend the opposite ;) and I concur with Luca, 1 hour for reversed incremental backup is more than enough.