Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
drew.green@tjtpa.com
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Drew Green

Feature Request: Add Exclusion Filter

Post by drew.green@tjtpa.com »

I love Veeam, but one thing that I can't stand is that there isn't a way to automatically exclude VMs from backup or replication jobs. In my environment, I have all VMs replicated between various hosts, and as such I'm required to either explicitly add the VMs I want to backup to my nightly job, or explicitly exclude replica VMs from my backup jobs (if choosing to backup the entire host), otherwise I end up with backups of replicas. The main problem is when backing up the entire host and after excluding replica VMs, if the replica is moved or deleted or modified in some way that Veeam doesn't recognize it as the same as the excluded replica, the backup job will backup the replica as well.

I'd love to see a feature where you can exclude *_replica from backup jobs, but this may be an issue if using failover, so it'd be even better if there was a conditional exclusion, such as:

IF VM = powered_on AND VM_replica EXISTS don't backup VM_replica

Something like that. Please excuse my pseudocrapcode.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature Request: Add Exclusion Filter

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Here’s a Powershell one-liner to exclude from a specified job all VMs which names end with “_replica”.

Code: Select all

Get-VBRJob -name “Name of your Job” | Get-VBRJobObject | ? {$_.name -like "*_replica"} | Remove-VBRJobObject
Hope this helps.
Thanks
drew.green@tjtpa.com
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Drew Green

Re: Feature Request: Add Exclusion Filter

Post by drew.green@tjtpa.com »

Thanks, that's a big help! I'd still like to see this integrated into the GUI, but for now, I'm going to add some PowerCLI to this to detect machine power state to suit my needs. Thanks again!