Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

RFE: VeeaMover

Post by dellock6 » 3 people like this post

I wrote a blog post yesterday about a new component Veeam would need to add to VBR, to allow backup replication to different locations:

http://www.vuemuer.it/en/?p=4355

Since this request is often coming out in these forums, If you feel this is a needed feature, leave a comment here so Veeam will know how many of us think it would be a feature to be implemented. I really do hope Veeam will be as responsive as usual and think about adding this functionality in a net release.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
kjc3303
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Re: RFE: VeeaMover

Post by kjc3303 »

Luca,

This is a very timely Blog as I am at the moment looking at the different option to replicate our backups to our DR site.
We currently use Rev Inc and use VBR to back up to two locations Prod Backup and DR Backup(Offsite). I know this is not ideal as it is very resource intensive and have been testing Rsync and Deltacopy to look at sending our local backups offsite this way.
I have come up against all the issues you mention in your blog, OK Yes I can get this to work with some out the tweaks mentioned on the forums, but this doesn't give me the confidence of having a fully supported product performing the job for me.
I would also like to suggest the ability to Surebackup the moved Backup files at the remote location

Kev
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Post by Moebius »

Couldn't agree more. So far I've been (as many others) fiddling with robocopy jobs and powershell scripts to create offsite copies, but this approach has too many disadvantages that everybody knows and that I'm not going to repeat here.

It seems to me that this request is very popular among users, maybe even more than the tape management module that Veeam seems to be going to make available in the future. Plus, the "VeeaMover" should be far easier to implement than a tape solution. Veeam, are you listening?
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

+1

Really a must-have feature

Marco
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

I like the idea. But there is also a trick with replication software. If you write a small script to name your backupfile to just Jobname.vbk(like it used to work in v4) and then replicate it over to the other site and then name it back, you would only replicate the changed blocks. You just need to rename both files to the same name before hand and then change the name back afterwards.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
ivordillen
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Ivor Dillen

Post by ivordillen »

+1
would like this very much

Ivor
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times

Post by Yuki »

also suggested this in my own post, but will bump this as well

+1
mragusa
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by mragusa »

+1

I registered to the Forum today only in the hope to find a solution for the DR-Site Backup Problem. Hope to see this feature soon.