Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
comeandtakeit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ben

Used Size Reported in Veeam

Post by comeandtakeit »

I'm having an issue with Veeam and our Exchange server. When I view the VM in VBAR under the Virtual Machines tab, Veeam reports the used size on the sever is the full capacity of the Provisioned Size (880 GB). However, I've checked my VM and only 450GB of disk space is actually being used (+- 20GB of Exchange logs).

This concerns me because when I ran a full backup on this VM, "Data Read" was 855GB and "Transferred" was 497GB. Something doesn't seem right here, does anyone have any tips?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Used Size Reported in Veeam

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ben,

Do you possibly have existing snapshots on this VM? What is the Hyper-V version you're currently running?

Thanks!
comeandtakeit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ben

Post by comeandtakeit »

I don't remember ever having taken a snapshot on this server, but I did check the setting on the VM and it is running off a standard VHD, not a differencing disk. Seems to me that would rule out snapshots.

We're running Hyper-V under Server 2008 R2 SP1, which would make it Hyper-V 2.0 I guess.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

comeandtakeit wrote: However, I've checked my VM and only 450GB of disk space is actually being used (+- 20GB of Exchange logs).
comeandtakeit wrote:This concerns me because when I ran a full backup on this VM, "Data Read" was 855GB and "Transferred" was 497GB.
I might be missing something, but after reading your post again I do not see what's wrong here - virtual disk was read entirely, empty/zero blocks were skipped and only the blocks that you've actually used have been transferred to the target repository.