Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
vipes27
Influencer
Liked: never

Restoring Multiple VMs

Post by vipes27 »

I'm still new to Veeam and have done some backups and restores but I had a question. I recently changed my backup schedule to include 2 VMs for each backup job. When I look in the backup folder, it contains Veeam file 'Backup Server1_Server2.' If I were to do a restore of this file, will it ask me which VMs I want to restore or will it restore both of them?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restoring Multiple VMs

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You will need to choose a restore point and the VM in this restore point when you start the restore wizard.
vipes27
Influencer

Post by vipes27 »

So it will allow me to restore one or both of the VMs?

Thanks for your help.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yes, It will allow you to restore either one VM or both.

Go to “Backups” node. Expand the corresponding job and you will see all VMs it has. Then, right-click one VM, if want to restore only it, or select two VMs, in case of you willing to restore both of them.

Similar actions can be taken by going Home -> Restore.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
vipes27
Influencer

Post by vipes27 »

Great, thanks, I can see it now.

One last question. I was doing a backup job for each server and then I grouped them into one job for 2 servers. It looks like the new backups must just be getting the changes because they're much faster and smaller in sized. Would I need to keep the original (full) backup and restore that first, followed by restoring the incremental? Or, would I just restore the most recent save point?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

vipes27 wrote:Would I need to keep the original (full) backup and restore that first, followed by restoring the incremental? Or, would I just restore the most recent save point?
If you're referring to the previous, separate backup job, then you do not need that since you have already created a new job which has all VMs already added. If you want to perform a restore operation, then you need to have a full backup chain for each backup job.