Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
parneye
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: James

Backup a proxy in use

Post by parneye »

I'm curious what would happen if you have a couple of backup tasks both running at the same time: backup task 1 which is using proxy A as say both the source and destination proxy to back up another VM, and backup task 2 which is performing a backup of proxy A with say proxy B as its source and destination proxy.
If hot add was in use, would backup task 2 back up the additional drives that are temporarily added to proxy A due to hot add, or is it smart enough to ignore these?
Or is the way around this to specify the disks to back up of the proxy VM instead of having All Disks selected.
Also, would the snapshot performed by backup task 2 of proxy A mess with the hotadded disks?
Besides the above are there any other corruption issues or similar that come in to play?

Thanks
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Backup a proxy in use

Post by dellock6 »

Hi James,
I've seen some problems in the past about this issue, with a backup loop of proxy backing up added disks. I usually configure proxy to backup only the 0:0 disk to avoid this kind of errors, but honestly I never checked again if in the latest versions this is something Veeam can manage itself and automatically skip mounted vmdks.

Also, I usually create a dedicated backup job for proxies and Veeam server, and run it in different part of the day, so they do not interfere with production VMs jobs.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

parneye wrote:Or is the way around this to specify the disks to back up of the proxy VM instead of having All Disks selected.
You can specify the particular VM disks to backup by selecting VM in the list at the VMs selection step of the job properties and clicking Exclusions.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I've just talked to QC, apparently this behavior should be handled by Veeam B&R on the slightly upper level: it should not backup the proxy while it is backing up other VMs (proxy should report the busy status) and the VM being backed up should not be selected as a proxy to backup other VMs. These checks were implemented in one of the previous versions.