Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times

Monitoring of NAS devices?

Post by Yuki »

Hi all,
I don't have One deployed, but we are looking for something that can monitor our storage space and provide us with charts, trends and alarms. The issue is that it's not just for Veeam/Vmware infrastructure, but also for NAS appliances and possibly linux servers (physical).

Can Veeam One do that?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Monitoring of NAS devices?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Yuki,

How are these NAS devices connected to your VMware infrastructure? Veeam ONE collects all information through VI API, so if NAS boxes data can be exposed via this API, then Veeam ONE will monitor them.

Thanks!
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times

Post by Yuki »

VI is not really talking to them directly. Veeam uses these NAS devices over CIFS/SMB, thats about it. They are on domain and share auth, but are not mounted/exposed to vSphere really (via iSCSI or NFS). I guess we could just mount them via NFS in order to make it visable to vSphere. Would that be enough?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yuki wrote:Veeam uses these NAS devices over CIFS/SMB, thats about it.
You can integrate Veeam ONE and Veeam B&R that will allow you to monitor at least free space and connection status for these repositories.
Yuki wrote: I guess we could just mount them via NFS in order to make it visable to vSphere. Would that be enough?
Sure, it would.
seapro220
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: mark foster

Post by seapro220 »

Hi.
I have a similar situation in which I have a VBR server that 'writes' my data to my NAS box. My VSphere doesn't know anything about this 'datastore' and hence I don't/aren't able to see it to monitor with Veeam. Does anybody have any suggestions on how i can 'connect' - if via vsphere, my NAS box so that I can monitor it with Veeam One?

mark
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to track free space usage, then you simply need to add Veeam B&R server to your Veeam ONE console. If performance metrics is your goal, then connecting this datastore to your Veeam B&R server VM as virtual disk or RDM will expose all VMware performance metrics for the NAS device.