Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Does Quick Migration need direct access to SAN?

Post by pufferdude »

I'm trying to do something a bit unconventional... I am trying to move a VM with Veeam Quick Migration (6.5) from one host to another, where the Veeam server has direct access to the "old" SAN and network-only access to the "new" SAN. I can't configure the veeam server to have access to both SANs at the same time as I don't have enough NICs, and I'm keeping the SANs separated network-wise for other reasons.

In any case, it doesn't seem to work. Quick Migration lets me select the source VM and its new destination just fine, passes the "seeing if the migration can be done" phase, then starts and never gets past "Preparing...". I've let it sit for over an hour on Preparing with no (visible) progress. Just trying to determine if what I'm trying to do SHOULD work before calling support and looking stupid ;-)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Does Quick Migration need direct access to SAN?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jim,

Quick Migration doesn't need direct SAN access to start the migration process. Your steps look good to me, I would suggest opening a support case and letting our team review debug logs to see why the "preparation" step takes so long.

Thanks!
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Re: Does Quick Migration need direct access to SAN?

Post by pufferdude »

Thanks. I stopped the migration and started it again and this time it worked... I only made two changes so not (yet) sure which one fixed it. 1) On the screen where you choose the destination datastore there is a link that says "Pick datastore for selected virtual disks." This time I clicked that and chose the VM. 2) I chose the source VM from the ESXi host directly instead of via the vcenter tree. So one of those two things made the migration work... it took only 10 min or so.