Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Bygmait
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: BygmaIT

Hyper-V and SQL Server Backup

Post by Bygmait »

Hi

I'm trying to setup an backup solutions for my SQL Server 2008, running in a Hyper-V mode.
There are two SQL Servers that I need to backup.

On each SQL Server, theres a local backup jobs running backup of the entire database and log files to an local backup storage, lying on a NAS unit, connected though iSCSI to the SQL Server.
So my Veeam B&R dosn't need to backup the database, logfiles and so on, but only the virtual machine it self, and configuration.

I therefore tryed to make an exclusion on the backup to only take the systemdrive disk, but it looks like it dosn't matter.
The size of the backup is still equal the size of the entire SQL server incl. all drives.

Is this the right way to backup an SQL Server? To exclude the disk drives that contains the database files, log files and backup files?
And how is this done the right way?

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Hyper-V and SQL Server Backup

Post by veremin »

Just for the purpose of complete understanding – are you talking about recalculate tab or you’d actually backed up your SQL server with unnecessary disk being included/excluded and saw no difference in backup sizes?

Can you also confirm that specified disks were excluded from processing? In the job statistics window should be something like this: “Excluding disk Name of your VM”.

Thanks.
Bygmait
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: BygmaIT

Post by Bygmait »

Hi

I'm not getting an info about excluded disk in the statistic picture.

http://peecee.dk/upload/view/402147/SQL_Picture.png

The disc with the arrow, is the one that I want to back up, and all the others are disc to databases, logfiles and backup, that I don't need to include in my backup.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Have you excluded disks at the Virtual Machines step of the job settings wizard? Can you provide the screen of the Exclusions dialog, please?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Bygmait wrote:Is this the right way to backup an SQL Server? To exclude the disk drives that contains the database files, log files and backup files?
And how is this done the right way?
Another way to backup your SQL Server would be just to backup the entire VM image with "application aware image processing option" enabled, pretty common practice among our customers.