Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ITP-Stan
Service Provider
Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

replica: Virtual Machine Consolidation Needed status

Post by ITP-Stan »

Hello,

We have 6 replica jobs and all 6 replica vm's show in vmware with yellow exclamation and the text "Virtual machine consolidation needed status".
It is normal that the replica VM's have some snapshots since the setting for these in Veeam is to keep 2 restore points.
But is it normal that the VCenter shows these warning messages, or is there something wrong with the snapshots?

Thank you
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: replica: Virtual Machine Consolidation Needed status

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

No, this is not normal to have this alarm on VM replicas. Can you please tell me how many snapshots you have for these VMs via Snapshot Manager? Also can you please browse the home folder of these VMs and check how many snapshot files you have there? Do these numbers match with each other?

Thank you!
ITP-Stan
Service Provider
Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Post by ITP-Stan »

Hi,

In the snapshot manager I see 2 snapshots called "Restore point date time" being the date & time from the last 2 runs.
In the datastore browser I see 9 vmdk files starting at 00001 until 00009.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, now it's clear why you have this alarm fired - seems like you have snapshots which haven't been consolidated for some reason. I would suggest reviewing VMware VM log files for more details on why snapshots cannot be removed even after sending the corresponding API call from the Veeam B&R server.