Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Co_giert
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Lee

New to Veeam need help "snapshot"

Post by Co_giert »

Hello,

I heard Veeam is a great at taking snapshot and the restore process is quick; therefore, i purchased the product.

Here is my situation, my Vmware server is running out of disks memory and I'm going to replace it with larger disks. I've already installed Veeam into one of my standalone server and planning to backup the snapshots onto a external hard drive.

I have an IBM server esxi os, Vmware VSphere host with six servers. I want to take snapshots of all six servers and restore back without significant downtime.

In the standalone,I already added my vSphere host in the Virtual machine infrastructure. But as for the next steps, I'm not sure which option to choose.

Can anyone point me to the right direction or have instruction for me to fulfill my need.

Thanks You
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: New to Veeam need help "snapshot"

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Lee,

Just to make sure I understand the scenario you want to follow - you have a new ESX(i) host and would like to migrate/replicate existing VMs from the old server to the new IBM box, right?

Thanks!
Co_giert
Novice

Post by Co_giert »

yes,

which steps should i take or how should i go about in accomplishing that task. there are 600GB between six servers. I want to reduce downtime as much as i can.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

In order to meet your expectations you can put into use either replication or Quick Migration functionality.

No additional words are needed in case of replica, and general description of Quick Migration can be found below.

With Veeam Quick Migration you’re able to promptly migrate one or more VM between ESX(i) hosts, datastores or both. Veeam Backup & Replication allows migration of VMs in any state with a minimum disruption to business operations and end user access to services.

For more information about Quick Migration please see the corresponding User Guide (p.56).

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Here is an existing topic with a similar question, please take a look: Using Veeam replication to Migrate Datacenter
Co_giert
Novice

Post by Co_giert »

thank you so much
Co_giert
Novice

Post by Co_giert »

sorry,

I might have to rephrase my question, I have one host/one IBM box. I ran out of memory and therefore is replacing with new drive. so migration is not going to work for me. should i use backup or VM copy for the job. If i use VM COPY onto external storage how would I restore all my VM back or should i use backup job and restore from there. Which is faster and less downtime.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for clarification, in this case you surely want to use backup and not VM copy jobs, as with backup jobs all your VMs will be stored in compressed and deduplicated format, preserving thin-provisioned disk format.
tuscani
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Justin Durrant

[MERGED] Migrating VMs across datacenters

Post by tuscani »

I need to migrate VMs from one data center to another over a IPSEC VPN. I am trying to determine the best method. Replication, Copy, Quick Migration?

It seems quick migration is what this is intended for, but that just uses vMotion by default which we are licensed for, any advatange to using VEEAM here over the native vMotion tool?