Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jkm005
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: J Markussen

Offhost +VSS hardware provider

Post by jkm005 »

Hi.

I'm in the process of testing VEEAM for our production servers.

For the test I have set up 1 Windows 2012 hyperv server and 1 Windows 2012 iscsi target server + another Windows 2012 server for testing offhost backup.

I have created a iSCSI virtual disk and made it available to the hyperv server. Created one hyperv vm on this disk.
From VEEAM and can backup and restore this vm.

I want to test offhost backup.

So installed another win2012 server. Connected to the iSCSI disk through iSCSI initiator. Ran Add-WindowsFeature iSCSITarget-VSS-VDS ....
But when running the backup job I get: No hardware provider for off-host backup detected ..

What am I missing/doing wrong here?

Thanks.-
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Offhost +VSS hardware provider

Post by foggy »

A few things to check: Does your offhost proxy have Hyper-V role enabled? Have you added it to Veeam B&R console as a proxy? Anyway, I believe our technical support is able to effectively verify your setup for the possible reasons of this message.
jkm005
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: J Markussen

Post by jkm005 »

Hi Foggy... Yes to all ... Thought I would use the forum and not tech support since I'm not a paying customer - yet--- Still need to see the offhost backup run before deciding to start using VEEAM in production...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Everyone on the official evaluation period is eligible for technical support, so feel free to contact them. This will be more efficient then using the forums as I guess they have some kind of offhost proxy validation tool just for this kind of cases.