Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
virtually-green
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Peter Kuczynski

New wan backup or replica

Post by virtually-green »

Hi there,
been using veeam for years, but just now moving off-of sneaker net wan backups to veeam.
Using veeam 6.5 ENT.

Is there a how-to anywhere I can use to backing up to a linux server at the destination?

Can the WAN target server be linux or does it have to be windows?

As my first test....
I have set linux [ubuntu] 10.04LTS server vm at our remote site, and opened ports 22, 2500-5000 to it. Backups keep failing. DNS resolved at both ends and over the wan.
Locally at the source, veeam 6.5 has a new data repository and is mapped to the linux server on the target wan side, no problems.
It's starts to run ok, and creates the folders for the vm's, then errors.

I can try this same test with a windows target I suppose, but wanted to save myself a license.

Peter
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: New wan backup or replica

Post by foggy »

virtually-green wrote:Can the WAN target server be linux or does it have to be windows?
Peter, you can use Linux server as a target for your backups. Basically, you just create a new Linux-type repository in Veeam B&R console and point it to that server (just make sure it has SSH and Perl installed as Veeam B&R run-time agent deployed on the repository server is installed through SSH login and has a Perl-based wrapper script).

I would suggest to open a case with our technical support so they could look at the error you get (or review full debug logs if required) and find the reason of the job failure.
virtually-green
Novice

I'll open a ticket, Perl is installed, but keep getting this error:
..client error, host not found (authorative)

DNS resolves at both local and wan target site, as well as over the internet, and I am mapped to the linux server via dns as well, which works great.

I noticed when creating a new repository, that the Backup Repository Properties, account indicates Not Set. But does not give me an option to set it. Could this have something to do with the error?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What authentication does your Linux box use? Be aware that for Linux targets only password authentication is supported.
virtually-green
Novice

I have tried both the root account and a user level account on the linux vm. Both behave the same way. The veeam backup folder for the vm weing backed up is created, and then two files are created therein, .vbm and a .vbk file. The the error comes up: ..client error, host not found (authorative)
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

So you're able to add the VM as a repository, but you get this error when you attempt to run a backup job?

It's important to remember that the repository actually connects back to the proxy, so it must be able to resolve the name and correct IP, and connect back to that IP address.
virtually-green
Novice

>So you're able to add the VM as a repository, but you get this error when you attempt to run a backup job?
YES

>It's important to remember that the repository actually connects back to the proxy, so it must be able to resolve the name and correct IP, and connect back to that IP address.
The veeam backup box is part of a AD domain and uses local DNS records. I added the WAN side DNS record for the repository server [the linux vm] and it is able to resolve it locally. I even added an /etc/hosts file locally to the veeam backup box, pointing to the same wan side ip address of the linux vm repository. IT can resolve it backwards and forwards. The backup starts to run fine, and the folder of the test vm is created, and the two files I mentioned before are added to the folder. But the backup then fails with the authentication error.
virtually-green
Novice

Post by virtually-green » 2 people like this post

Here is the fix for my issue, backing up to a LINUX Ubuntu 10.04 wan target from Tom. Thanks Tom!

One thing you might want to try, if you edit properties of the Linux system in the Backup Infrastructure, on the “SSH Connection” screen where you enter the SSH credentials there is an “Advanced” button. On this button is an option “Run server on this side”. I know it’s a confusing option, but what this really does is reverse the direction of the TCP connection between the proxy and repository (instead of going from repo to proxy, it goes from proxy to repo). Worth a try.

If that doesn’t help, feel free to reach out to me and we can try a quick Webex. I can’t imagine it will be too difficult.

Thanks,
Tom