Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dephcon5
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: george

Call execution timeout and many other errors

Post by dephcon5 »

Im not having much luck with 3.1.
Or should I say, I have NO BACKUP AT ALL.

First, if the SAN mode is working it's slower than network mode. Lately in network mode, I am failing to get ANY backup with this Retrieving file list Call execution timeout (100 sec) error. Now all my backups are failing.

Second, I am not finding much help from documentation or maybe its just because I cant find any documentation. A few scenarios on the setup and the settings needed, maybe a diagram or two between network mode or SAN mode and then a variation between iSCSI or FC with an explanation as to which has its advantages or not.

When creating a job for one of my file servers, I make the necessary changes in advanced settings to ensure the two (1TB) vmdk's are NOT selected for backup. So the job is setup so it only backs up the system partition. That job has always failed because for some reason it seems to automatically re-select the data vmdk's even though I told it not to.

*edit*
Since my SAN is 100% iSCSI, is it necessary for the VCB/Veeam server to have an iSCSI connection directly to my NetApp SAN in order for SAN mode to work?
I searched this site and documentation with no luck on this one either.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Call execution timeout and many other errors

Post by Gostev »

George, we will be more than happy to take a look at your issues and assist with each one. Do you have support case opened? We will need all logs to investigate both problems.

There is no difference between iSCSI and FC storage from VCB SAN mode backup perspective, and we have a whitepaper available in documentation section of our web-site talking about some tips of successful VCB integration. Yes, direct connection to storage is still required - so you do need iSCSI HBA card installed in your Veeam Backup server (unless you are using software iSCSI initiator, which potentially could be the reason for poor performance too).
dephcon5
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: george

Post by dephcon5 »

I got my backups working now. Still slow, but I can restore if needed.
Now I have to attend to my second most important issue with the drives selected.
If I have a VM with multiple drives and I set the backup to ONLY backup the first virtual disk, the backup still attempts to backup all the disks.

Any ideas?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

George, we will need all logs from Help | Support information to investigate this. Such issue was never reported before.