Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
artecu
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Andrew R Tilbury

Using Infoblox DNS VM Appliance in Labs

Post by artecu »

Hi.
Is anyone successfully using an Infoblox DNS appliance with Surebackup jobs?
(I have managed to backup and restore into Vsphere but with Surebackup all four NICS go missing.
Infoblox ovf = nios-5.1r5-17-181188-2012-10-01-10-12-41-160G-1410
This appliance uses Linux 2.6.32.8 Fedora release 12)

Thanks
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Using Infoblox DNS VM Appliance in Labs

Post by tsightler »

First guess would be that the box persistently maps the systems IP address to the NICs using their MAC address. This is common on modern Linux systems using devmapper. Unfortunately, when the system is brought up in Surebackup the virtual NICs will have different MAC addresses since it's technically a new VM. You might be able to work around this by assigning static MAC addresses to the production appliance, then backing it up, but you'd have to reconfigure the production appliance after doing this.

Do you have root access to the device and would you be willing to manually modify it to remove change this behavior? If so you can probably change the default behavior, assuming the appliance config itself doesn't depend on the MAC addresses staying consistent.

I believe there may be a KB article on the Infoblox website regarding this (I don't have a login). Do a search for "MAC Address Change" and I think there is something about the system being "unreachable" after the MAC address changes.
artecu
Influencer

Post by artecu »

Thanks Tom. I will follow up on the Infoblox website as you suggest.
artecu
Influencer

Post by artecu »

Still following up with Infoblox, however.... the restore works fine when done manually with Veeam ie no Surebackup. I checked the MAC addresses and they are all new, and no NICs are dropped. I dont understand what is different other than the Veeam Lab router.
artecu
Influencer

Post by artecu » 1 person likes this post

Following on from this, it seems that having the 3 unused NICs defined as being connected to a non-prod isolated Vlan was causing Linux to not boot. I defined them as the same VLAN as the used NIC and left them disconnected...All good now. Thx again.