Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SmithJohn
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: charles

veeam evaluation question

Post by SmithJohn »

Actually, I am evaluating Veeam. After several weeks of evaluation, I have several questions:

1) I found that even though I create a vcenter account that only have limited access to part of the VMs , all the VMs are shown in the backup manger after vcenter become part of the managed servers.
I have installed the vcenter server and the veeam backup server in same machine. Would it be the cause and could it be solved.

2) If Linux cluster and Windows cluster co-exist in one single resource pool and use Veeam to manage it. Is there any concerns?

3) For the veeam enterprise manger (the web interface), is there any multi-tenant solution for each tenants to view their own vm only and control through the web.

4) one-click file restore: the is no VM display in the file tab of veeam enterprise manager, I have installed search server, the veeam search server and the backup VMs has been click all the boxes in the backup page.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: veeam evaluation question

Post by veremin »

One-click file restore: the is no VM display in the file tab of veeam enterprise manager, I have installed search server, the veeam search server and the backup VMs has been click all the boxes in the backup page.
In the Enterprise Manager you can browse any VM backup for OS guest files after performing catalog replication. In other words, in "Files" tab you can only browse VMs that were backed up with guest file system indexing on.

As to the questions number 1,3, please see the topics that have been created previously.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
SmithJohn
Enthusiast

Post by SmithJohn »

Thanks for your reply
I can view the files in the option of "restore guest files" but no files display in the file tab. I am sure that I have click guest file indexing
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Charles, are you saying that you are able select the required VM under the Files tab in Enterprise Manager, select the restore point for it but cannot find a file?
SmithJohn
Enthusiast

Post by SmithJohn »

no , I mean I can restore gust file in the veeam backup and replication console but I can't find the any vm in veeam enterprise manager( file tab)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If you are certain you have successful backups with indexing enabled and still do not see any VMs there, then it is probably worth opening a case. Btw, existing topic with the similar issue.
SmithJohn
Enthusiast

Post by SmithJohn »

Maybe could you send me the check list to conduct this function.

I think I may can't open the case as I am still evaluating the software. And I would like to know the support details when the software is purchase? Support by the local-reseller or veeam hotline. And any consultation for the deployment after purchase
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Maybe could you send me the check list to conduct this function.
You just need to be sure that you’ve backed up the given VM with this option being ticked.
I think I may can't open the case as I am still evaluating the software.
According to our policy, customers with an evaluation licence are eligible for support.

You can open a ticket and attach logs if need be by visiting http://cp.veeam.com.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

SmithJohn wrote:Maybe could you send me the check list to conduct this function.
Just select the Enable guest file system indexing check box in the job properties and make sure that the job has finished without any corresponding errors. Also, catalog replication should complete successfully (you can check this under Configuration > Sessions in Enterprise Manager).
SmithJohn
Enthusiast

Post by SmithJohn »

there is only database replication but no catalog replication.
also,t there is no server in display in search server , is it the cause?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

While, Search Server component is optional, catalog replication is required to get guest file system indexing data (stored in the VBRCatalog folder on the backup server). By default, Veeam B&R replicates indexing data automatically after every backup job, however you can do it manually by clicking Sync Catalog Now on the Configuration > Search Server tab in Enterprise Manager. If you have successful VM backups with guest file system indexing enabled, have completed catalog replication, but still cannot select this VM on the Files tab, please contact our technical support for assistance.