Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DaxUK
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Wells

Replication Pool move for a replicated VM

Post by DaxUK »

HI,

We use Veeam to replicated VM's between our 2 sites and this is working fine.

We also use vCloud Director at our sites and this raises the following questions:

When we import a VM into vCloud director from Vsphere it moves the VM into a new resource pool. We have re-run the replication for the VM in question and it all seemed to work fine even though the VM was in a new resource pool. It seems to use the VM-ID to locate the VM rather than where it is logically in the vSphere hierarchy. I just wanted to check if this is a supported setup of should we not be doing it?

Also the same question regarding disk location, i.e if we migrate the VM to a new storage location it still seems to work fine, again is this supported?

Many Thanks
Dave
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication Pool move for a replicated VM

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dave,

Yes, it is supported, it doesn't matter where you move the VM in question, as all VMs are tracked by their moref ID which stays the same after importing VMs into vCloud Director topology. Migrating VMs to another storage device should also keep their moref ID intact, so the backup/replication job will continue to run normally after this operation.

Thanks!
DaxUK
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Wells

Post by DaxUK »

Many thanks for the update that is great.

Just another quick one, I we do move the VM replica into vCloud Director and someone accidentally powers on the VM replica, what affect will this have on the next replication job? Will it continue to work and will it reset the replica to the same state as the source VM? I know the VM's memory is not snapshot'ed when replication is carried out so just wondering what situation we would be in with the replica

Thanks
Dave
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

The replication job will throw a warning message that the target VM is in power on state and will not proceed further.