Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
alex_kaz
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexander Kazorez

Import old restore points

Post by alex_kaz »

Our backup job has 21 days retention period. Every week we have synthetic full backup with rollback transformation. I want to save older rollback files to tape and later if we need restore information older than 21 days then restore reversal files from tape and import files to backup chain. But I don't know any way to import old reversed incremental file older than retention period. Is there any way to doing so or is it impossible?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Import old restore points

Post by veremin »

Assuming that you have the entire chain, starting from the .vbk-file to the given restore point, there would be any problem for import function to find them all.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Alexander,

Out of curiosity, why don't you offload VIB files to tapes right after the backup job finishes?

Thanks!
alex_kaz
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexander Kazorez

Post by alex_kaz »

Thank you for reply!
Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Alexander,

Out of curiosity, why don't you offload VIB files to tapes right after the backup job finishes?

Thanks!
If I want to doing so then I need custom script to delete old VRB files? As example I have backup job with 28 days retention period and I want to store 21 restore points on fast storage and older restore points on tapes. After the job finished should I start write to tape and delete VRB files older than 21 days?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

alex_kaz wrote:If I want to doing so then I need custom script to delete old VRB files?
Using custom scripts as well as deleting restore points manually is not recommended practice.
alex_kaz wrote: As example I have backup job with 28 days retention period and I want to store 21 restore points on fast storage and older restore points on tapes.
In this case your scenario looks good to me, but keep in mind that VRB files can only be used for restore operation if you have a VBK file these restore points depend on.