Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
0zzY
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: 0zzy

Info replication single VM

Post by 0zzY »

Hi all, i need suggestion for a small replica configuration and this is the situation:

I have 2 esxi server:
the first one with a single vm (Domain controller, dns server, and with veeam backup & REplication software)
the second esxi is "the target" of the replication job

First question:
Which vmware license i need to have a full vm replica? (I think only the essential)
I need also vcenter? (I think no)

Second question:
How can i run the replicated vm if the source host esxi is down?

Tnx all
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Info replication single VM

Post by foggy »

0zzY wrote:First question:
Which vmware license i need to have a full vm replica? (I think only the essential)
The minimum VMware license (vSphere Essentials) is sufficient to be able to backup and replicate VMs.
0zzY wrote:I need also vcenter? (I think no)
vCenter Server is optional.
0zzY wrote:Second question:
How can i run the replicated vm if the source host esxi is down?
You can failover manually by simply starting the replica VM on the target host, however, having Veeam B&R responsible for replication jobs installed on the target host allows for faster failover using Veeam B&R UI in case of disaster and ability to failback when the source host is up again.
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

foggy wrote: You can failover manually by simply starting the replica VM on the target host,.
I think you mean using the vsphere client -> point to the target esxi -> add the vm browsing the local datastore where is located the replica, is it right?
foggy wrote: however, having Veeam B&R responsible for replication jobs installed on the target host allows for faster failover using Veeam B&R UI in case of disaster and ability to failback when the source host is up again.
in this case, how can i use the Veeam B&R UI if it is on the sorce machine that is down?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

0zzY wrote: I think you mean using the vsphere client -> point to the target esxi -> add the vm browsing the local datastore where is located the replica, is it right?
You do not need to browse the datastore and add the replica VM as it will be already registered on the target host. You will need just to start it.
0zzY wrote: in this case, how can i use the Veeam B&R UI if it is on the sorce machine that is down?
This is what I'm talking about - if you want to failover using Veeam B&R UI, you need to have it installed on the target host. Otherwise only manual failover is possible.
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

foggy wrote: you need to have it installed on the target host.
Ah, you mean In another vm running on the target host, right?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes. Could be any existing either virtual or physical machine actually. Also, having VM on the target host will allow you to use it as target proxy for replication job and benefit from faster VM data population on target.
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

foggy wrote:Yes. Could be any existing either virtual or physical machine actually. .
could be a vm with win7 pro? this os can be used as backup server and handle replication jobs?

Another question: in this scenario the backup server with veeam is the vm on the target esxi..no more the DC vm on the source esxi (as i had indicated on my first post)
Or can i have more backup server active at the same time? (i don't think because de veeam database is unique..right?)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

0zzY wrote:could be a vm with win7 pro? this os can be used as backup server and handle replication jobs?
Yes, for the full list of system requirements please review the corresponding section in the user guide.
0zzY wrote:Another question: in this scenario the backup server with veeam is the vm on the target esxi..no more the DC vm on the source esxi (as i had indicated on my first post)
Or can i have more backup server active at the same time? (i don't think because de veeam database is unique..right?)
Each backup server has its own database. However, you can install Enterprise Manager to have a single view across all managed backup servers. It is a common practice to have one backup server responsible for backup jobs at the source location and another backup server responsible for replication jobs at the target location.
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

foggy wrote: Each backup server has its own database. However, you can install Enterprise Manager to have a single view across all managed backup servers. It is a common practice to have one backup server responsible for backup jobs at the source location and another backup server responsible for replication jobs at the target location.
Last one:
assuming my original scenario, if the backup server is the only vm present on the first esxi host that fault, there is no way to install Veeam on a physical client and after reconfiguring the same backup repository run a "recatalog" or something similar for manage the replica?

Tnx for all.
veeam rocks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If you are using v6.5, you can perform Veeam B&R configuration backup and then, in case of losing the server, you can just install it from scratch and import configuration to continue managing your backups.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Additionally, please see the existing topics regarding replication configuration, as well as, protection of VB&R server, might be useful:

http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15344 (Replication)
http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4081 (Best way of protecting VB&R server)

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

Thanks for this links.
I have another question: What's the space required for the destination datastore assuming a replication job scheuled 2 times a day? Can be equal the source datastore ore have to be greater (considering the space required for snapshots)?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You need enough space to keep full copy of the VM + additional space for restore points (depends on the amount of changes your VM provides between replication cycles).
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

foggy wrote:You need enough space to keep full copy of the VM + additional space for restore points (depends on the amount of changes your VM provides between replication cycles).
Full copy..do you mean provisioned space or realy used?
If between a replication job and another, on the source server are moved 100GB, i need provisioned GB+100 GB?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The same amount of space as source VM takes on the source datastore.