Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
grokit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel

How to rename vSphere files,folders, etc.

Post by grokit »

I am new to VEEAM. So if this is a stupid question, please forgive me.

I noticed that in Veeam Backup & Replication 6.5 I can rename files and folders in the Files section.

I can do the same in vSphere, but if I do that there, I break the configuration of VM's. That is, if I change i.e. a folder name that contains the VM in a certain datastore, the VM won't start anymore.

I really hoped that with Veeam I could safely rename Datastore, Folder, Filenames and the VM's would still run. Unfortunately, the result of changing folder and filenames in veeam is the same as in vSphere.

Not sure why Veeam (and vSphere) allow to change names if the VM's would not run afterwards?

Anyway, is there an understandable description somewhere which tells me how to rename VM's, files, folders and datastores without breaking VM functionality?
I found some hints that vMotion has bugs related to renaming and some other hints about using commandline tools (mv(1), etc.)

Or, ideally, there is some script using either Veeam or vSphere which would do that for me?

I need to clean up some datastore/folders/file names.

Thanks for any hint.

Regards
Dan
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: How to rename vSphere files,folders, etc.

Post by veremin »

I really hoped that with Veeam I could safely rename Datastore, Folder, Filenames and the VM's would still run.
In fact, it can’t be done by the means of Veeam Backup and Replication.
Anyway, is there an understandable description somewhere which tells me how to rename VM's, files, folders and datastores without breaking VM functionality?
As you’ve already understood, a Virtual Machine name can be changed in vCenter, nevertheless, the corresponding files (.vmdk, .vmx, etc.) would still have their previous name. Renaming all filenames/references manually through the SSH console is nothing but a headache task, unless you’re quite qualified in this area.

So, probably, the easiest way is just shuting down your VM and migrating it to a different datastore. Thus, all relevant files/folders will be renamed.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
grokit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel

Post by grokit »

v.Eremin wrote: In fact, it can’t be done by the means of Veeam Backup and Replication.
So, what is the reason there is rename capability in Veeam at the first place? I can rename files and folders, but I can't think of a situation where this would not also at the same time break a VM configuration...
Ok, I admit the same question should go to vSphere too...
So, probably, the easiest way is just shuting down your VM and migrating it to a different datastore. Thus, all relevant files/folders will be renamed.
I tried migration. Unfortinately it does not change filenames. According to some internet searching, there is a bug in vMotion. Seems to be fixed in version 5.0 U2 (I have 5.0.0) and the fix is not incorporated (yet?) into 5.1.
I guess I need to wait. I do not really want to mess around with ssh access. The more I hobed there is more than just teh obvious behind file/folder renaming in Veeam... :-)
Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Yeah. Sort of. Thanks.
Dan
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

According to some internet searching, there is a bug in vMotion. Seems to be fixed in version 5.0 U2 (I have 5.0.0) and the fix is not incorporated (yet?) into 5.1.
Yep, it looks like it hasn't been fixed so far.
I do not really want to mess around with ssh access.
In fact, there is a quite informative description of the steps that should be taken in case of manual VM files renaming. It might be worth checking (pay special attention to the “Renaming virtual machine files in-place using the console” section).

Hope this helps.
Thanks.