Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Yoni Limbeck
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Yoni Limbeck

SureBackup SQL test script : ErrCode 10061

Post by Yoni Limbeck »

Hello,

I have a problem with SureBackup of Veeam Backup & Replication 5. I installed a SQL server on a Server 2008 32-bit server. After that I installed SQL server 2008 Express edition and SQL Management Studio.

In Veeam Backup I made a backup of this server and made a Virtual Lab. I also enabled the SQL role property. Unfortanately I keep getting the following error when he's running the testscripts:

Sql Server script, path VmConnectionTester.exe, ErrCode 10061

SQL is installed in mixed mode, the local admin account is also SQL administrator and Windows has all Windows updates installed. I noticed however that the "SQL Server agent (SQLEXPRESS)" service and the "SQL Active Directory Helper Service" are disabled.

On the internet I found out that the SQL AD Helper service has to be on manual mode and doesn't need to be always running. But I didn't found if it's normal that the SQL Server Agent service isn't running and if this is causing the SQL error in Veeam Backup. I also tried to start these 2 services but then I get an error that the service has been started and then stopped.

With SQL Management Studio I can login with Windows Authentication and create databases, tabled and so forth. I don't have client programs using this SQL server. I'm just testing Veeam Backup.

What could be the cause of the SQL error 10061 in Veeam Backup and how to fix it?
Yoni Limbeck
Novice
Full Name: Yoni Limbeck

Re: Sure Backup SQL ErrCode 10061

Post by Yoni Limbeck »

I forgot to say I have installed the latest version of vmware tools and I'm using vSphere 4.1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Sure Backup SQL ErrCode 10061

Post by Gostev »

Hi, for any technical issues please open a support case and submit full log files for investigation, as explained when you click New Topic. Thanks.
novakk_AH
Novice
Full Name: Karel Novak

Re: SureBackup SQL test script : ErrCode 10061

Post by novakk_AH »

I resolved this problem

Start MSSQL Management studio
Right-Click Server\Instance and choose Facets
Scroll on Surface Area Configuration and set AdHocRemoteQueries on True
Restart MS SQL

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23211990/surebackup2.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23211990/surebackup3.png

Check port 1433 TCP MSSQL with PortQry

C:\PortQryV2>PortQry.exe -n 192.168.51.95 -e 1434 -p udp

Querying target system called:

Attempting to resolve IP address to a name...

IP address resolved to test-mssql.alliance-unichem.cz

querying...

UDP port 1434 (ms-sql-m service): LISTENING or FILTERED

Sending SQL Server query to UDP port 1434...

Server's response:

ServerName TEST-MSSQL
InstanceName TESTMSSQL
IsClustered No
Version 10.0.4000.0
tcp 1433 ( Port )

Check with Veem Scripts

C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication>VmConnectionTester.exe 192.168.51.95 1433 -----> OK

C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication>VmConnectionTester.exe 192.168.51.95 1432 ( Bad port )
Error 10061, No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.51.95:1432 ----> Error
Karel Novak
vExpert 2012-2017,vExpert NSX 2016-2017
VCI-Level2,VCIX6-NV,VCIX6-DCV
Veeam Certified Trainer-Mentor, VMCA
Veeam Vanguard
Twitter: novakkkarel
Linkedin: https://cz.linkedin.com/in/karel-novak-5134b839
Blog: www.vmware-veeam.cz
mjgreen81
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Green

[MERGED] Help with U-AIR and SQL

Post by mjgreen81 »

Hi all,

I have recently been configuring U-AIR on our system and have successfully setup Exchange and AD recovery. Now i would like to tackle SQL.

First of all let me say that I am not a SQL Admin so my knowledge is fairly limited.

The VM’s seem to be created OK, but I get an error 10061 while the SQL2011 server runs through its tests. This error has led me to the following KB article: http://www.veeam.com/KB1249

It seems as though I have an issue communicating with port 1433.

I have looked at SQL server configuration manager on our production server and can see that under SQL server Network Connections >> Protocols for XXXXXXXX >> TCP/IP the TCP port is blank. Looking online I think this needs to be set as 1433.

Would everyone agree that this is what is going wrong? As I say I am not a SQL admin so don't really understand the consequences of setting this port as 1433.

Are there any tests I can do to confirm that this is the issue?

Thank you in advance
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Mike, this port is typically used for remote connections to the database and, according to the KB you've referred to, looks like this is indeed the cause of the issue.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Mike.

It seems that in your case it’s dynamic port that is being used for SQL server named instance, and you need to assign a static one (1443) instead. The description of how you can configure a SQL server to listen a specific TCP port can be found here. Furthermore, this article will give you an understanding on how to avoid a common pitfall.

Otherwise, if it were firewall which prevented the server from establishing a connection, then, you would need to create an inbound rule for the port 1433 in Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. Step-by-step process is covered here.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
mjgreen81
Enthusiast

Post by mjgreen81 »

Thanks guys, I will have a good read of those links that you have provided.
mjgreen81
Enthusiast

Post by mjgreen81 »

Guys just so I can understand this better, why exactly does the TCP port need to be configured as 1433?

Is it so that the restored version of the server running in the vLab can communicate with the live server in the production environment?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

mjgreen81 wrote:Guys just so I can understand this better, why exactly does the TCP port need to be configured as 1433?
It does not need to be configured as 1433, you can set any port you like and then specify this port in the verification scripts that Veeam B&R is using to verify connection to SQL Server during verification jobs.