Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Jonathan Barrow

I only want to keep 1 backup offsite but...

Post by jbarrow.viracoribt »

So, I'm trying to configure a job for our offsite backup location. This location is only going to be used if both of my buildings are gone (think tornado). If both buildings are wiped out, want the latest possible copy of all systems at an offsite location I can restore from. I'm wondering how I should configure my job's retention schedule? I have about 9.5TB worth of Backup Data (For all my VM's) and I have a 100Mbps pipe I'm looking at using. My thought is to just set it at one but I fear the upload of a full backup won't complete (even over a 100Mbps pipe) before the following days backup runs and changes the file it was in the middle of uploading. Any suggestions or thoughts?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: I only want to keep 1 backup offsite but...

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jonathan,

I would suggest using reversed incremental backup mode with retention policy set to 1. If you have an ability to ship existing backup file containing all VMs (9.5 TB worth of data) to the offsite location, then after doing this just use backup mapping feature to point backup job to existing files to start running incremental passes only.

Thanks!
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

If your backup window is long enough, I would suggest doing two separated jobs. Apart the usual one you are already doing locally, I would setup a remote Veeam repository to help reduce traffic during the reverse incremental backup (as Vitaliy suggested). In this way only the changed data would be shipped to the remote location. Copying the local backup remotely would be less efficient, unless you do not us a replication software about to replicate at byte-level, otherwise with reverse incremental each day the full backup would be replicated from scratch.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert

dellock6 wrote:If your backup window is long enough, I would suggest doing two separated jobs. Apart the usual one you are already doing locally, I would setup a remote Veeam repository to help reduce traffic during the reverse incremental backup (as Vitaliy suggested). In this way only the changed data would be shipped to the remote location. Copying the local backup remotely would be less efficient, unless you do not us a replication software about to replicate at byte-level, otherwise with reverse incremental each day the full backup would be replicated from scratch.

Luca.
Interesting. I'm looking to use TwinStrata and their Cloud Array as my offsite storage. I wonder how I would configure their appliance as a remote Veeam respository.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

jbarrow.viracoribt wrote:I wonder how I would configure their appliance as a remote Veeam respository.
If target can be Windows or Linux machine, then you should add it as a regular repository.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I'm looking to use TwinStrata and their Cloud Array as my offsite storage.
Furthermore, you might want to review this topic or this document which is primarily concerned with VB&R/CloudArray best practise.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Jonathan,

I would suggest using reversed incremental backup mode with retention policy set to 1. If you have an ability to ship existing backup file containing all VMs (9.5 TB worth of data) to the offsite location, then after doing this just use backup mapping feature to point backup job to existing files to start running incremental passes only.

Thanks!

Where can I learn more about Backup Mapping? The manual talks about replica mapping but does not mention backup mapping. Am I missing something?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Where can I learn more about Backup Mapping?
For more information about backup mapping functionality, please, see corresponding User Guide (p.118).

Hope this helps.
Thanks.