Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
withanh
Veteran
Liked: never
Full Name: Darhl

Replaced machine, can I remove the old backups?

Post by withanh »

More information on what happened is http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1842. Never the less, what's done is done and now I basically have an orphan machine's backups that I will quite literally never ever need or use. How do I remove those from the backups? I know the replication is relatively easy, I just delete the folder from the replication target, but removing that VMs backups I can't quite figure out.

Thanks,

h
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Replaced machine, can I remove the old backups?

Post by Gostev »

I've replied in that thread ;)

To remove unneeded backups, you should:
1. Select Backups node in the Veeam Backup management tree.
2. Right-click the unneeded backup.
3. Choose Remove option to remove backup from product configuration, or Delete from Disk option to both remove backup from product configuration, and delete it from disk.
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

That deletes everything that backup job did, I only want to delete one of the 6 machines that backup job processes...
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Oh, sorry - I did not understand your question. You would need to wait for about 3-4 weeks for this functionality to become generally available. Veeam Backup 4.0 has an option to run "full backup" from job's right-click menu. This rebuilds your backup file from scratch, but all deleted VMs will no longer be included there. So effectively you will get backup file without those 6 VMs.

With the current version, the only way to achieve this is to create new backup job, and delete the old one.
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

OK, no worries, I'm anxiously awating Veeam Backup 4.0!