PowerShell script exchange
Beatle.Uy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Liber Bracesco

VeeamZIP Schedule with Powershell

Post by Beatle.Uy »

Hi folks!

I'm looking for directions in order to schedule backup jobs in VeeamZIP through powershell cmdlets.
I am aware that this requires a license, which I have installed this year with great results.
What I want to do is to install VeeamZIP in another server, is it possible? how?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Beatle.Uy
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VeeamZIP Schedule with Powershell

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Liber,

Could you please clarify what you mean by saying "install it on another server"? Would you like to use VeeamZIP functionality on another Veeam backup server? Then you also need to have a license key installed on that server. Anyway, to run VeeamZIP jobs on regular basis, you need to use Windows Task Scheduler to trigger the VeeamZIP cmdlets.

Thanks!
Beatle.Uy
Novice

Post by Beatle.Uy »

Vitaliy,

Thanks for your reply.

I'll try to explain. I have two sites (main office and contingency). The main office is covered by a licensed Veeam B&R and we are happy with it.
But we also want to have a backup of some other ESXi hosts (not vCenter) located on the contingency site, so I was thinking about using VeeamZIP on this site but I need to schedule the tasks.
The only think that I don't get to know is how to setup the installation of VeeamZIP in order to get the cmdlets.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

VeeamZIP is a feature of Veeam B&R, so you cannot install it separately. If you want to have scheduled VeeamZIP jobs on the remote site, then you should buy additional license keys to cover the DR site too, as PowerShell cmdlets are available in the paid version of Veeam B&R only.
Tobias_Elfstrom
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Tobias Elfstrom

Post by Tobias_Elfstrom »

If you have CPU licenses for the other site then just do a normal install. As far as I know B&R is only licensed per CPU you actually backup, not how many Veeam servers/proxys etc you install. If you don't have the licenses then then your out of luck since the Powershell API is only in the licensed version.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

That's correct. Thanks, Tobias!
Beatle.Uy
Novice

Post by Beatle.Uy »

Thank you both Tobias and Vitaliy, I will check the license then.
If I may take some more time from you, I would like to clear up some ideas because I would be missing something.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong with the following statements:
* VeeamZIP installer is the same as Veeam B&R (you can switch from free to full from the menu after installation).
* The schedule feature in VeeamZIP is only available through powershell cmdlets.
* To enable cmdlets you need a full license.

If all the above is right, then I can't imagine why someone would buy a license and use VeeamZIP instead of Veeam B&R.
I mean, searching the forum you said that schedule in VeeamZIP is possible using cmdlets, but you need a license.
Then, I think that if you buy a license there's no sense in using VeeamZIP instead of Veeam B&R.
Sorry if I'm not clear.

Thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, all above is correct.

VeeamZIP is useful in many other ways, please see this datasheet for the detailed explanation: http://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_free_ ... _en_ds.pdf
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Liber, VeeamZIP was implemented with some other scenarios than regular backups in mind. Consider VeeamZIP as a zip utility for VMs (that sometimes still can require an ability to be scheduled). I'm not going to describe all the cases where VeeamZIP could be handy here, you can just download the v6.1 What's New document to get better understanding of them.

So, if you want to have a scheduled VM backup in its common sense, you should use regular Veeam B&R backup jobs instead.
Thanks!
jim3cantos
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: José Ignacio Martín Jiménez

Post by jim3cantos »

Beatle.Uy wrote:Vitaliy,

Thanks for your reply.

I'll try to explain. I have two sites (main office and contingency). The main office is covered by a licensed Veeam B&R and we are happy with it.
But we also want to have a backup of some other ESXi hosts (not vCenter) located on the contingency site, so I was thinking about using VeeamZIP on this site but I need to schedule the tasks.
The only think that I don't get to know is how to setup the installation of VeeamZIP in order to get the cmdlets.

Thanks.
In fact, If you can browse inside Veeam B&R to the vm's you want to backup from contingency site (no matter they are in a licensed server or not), you can do the backup using Start-VBRZip in your licensed server. Check out this thread