Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashleyw
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ashley Watson

VCD 5.1.1 and v7.

Post by ashleyw »

Hi,
I'm extremely interested in the VCD integration in Veeam v7. I guess the answer will be "when it's ready" but when is this feature likely to be available for beta/production?
I'm trying to understand how the product will deal with things like linked clones etc?
We are in the process of rolling out VCD to our development teams at the moment, but I'd like to delay the roll out of this until the backup layer is 100% covered.
Oh and one last long standing question.. can we expect limited forms of tape support in the upcoming v7 release (I know its been on the horizon for what seems like years now!)

thanks!
scott.anderson
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Scott Anderson

Re: VCD 5.1.1 and v7.

Post by scott.anderson »

Ditto on the tape question.
Really hate having to tag another ($1000) backup solution on every time a client wants to long term to tape!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6691 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Ashley and Scott,

v7 is scheduled for Q3 this year, this will include both vCD and tape support. Beta sometimes in late Q2, but as usual it will be private and very limited - but, if you have good connections with your Veeam sales rep, you have a chance ;)

vCD support will include linked clones support (fast provisioning, in vCD terms) for backup and restores.

All details regarding tape support are classified until the official feature announcement > Countdown to v7

Thanks!
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli » 2 people like this post

tape support, WHOA! :D

Marco
ashleyw
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ashley Watson

Post by ashleyw » 1 person likes this post

nice one Anton! The way VMware are pushing vCD at the moment, I guess native vCD support will most likely be the next big thing and it's great to see Veeam leading the pack (as per usual)! Tape support should keep all those grey haired old-schoolers happy ;-)