Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
greggerm
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam B&R - Specifying a network to transmit data on...

Post by greggerm »

Good day,

We are re-engineering our VMware backup/replication architecture from a SAN based replication system (no compression/dedupe or throttling) to a Veeam based backup/replication system (compression, dedupe, and throttling!) to make better use of the bandwidth we have available to us.

We have a relatively slow T1 based WAN between our two sites, but we also have a 10MB (soon to be 30MB) Ethernet point-to-point connection between our main site and our DR site. The Veeam B&R server is connected to both networks at this time... a NIC is provisioned for the local domain (and as such, the DR site), and a NIC is provisioned to the dedicated circuit we'd like to use for replication data.

Problem: When using Veeam replication's capability, how do I make certain that the replica data is going to be sent across the fast dedicated circuit we have for that purpose, as opposed to the slow "standard" WAN we use for day-to-day data and VCenter communication?

I need to make sure Veeam only uses the fast connection when speaking to the proxy which will be onsite at my DR location.

Thoughts and ideas?
-Greg
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam B&R - Specifying a network to transmit data on...

Post by veremin »

First of all, in case of remote replication, it’s strongly recommended to have one Veeam proxy running in the production site (closer to the source host), and another one in the remote DR site (closer to the target host). With a proxy server set up on the target side, the data will cross the WAN compressed and will be uncompressed by the target proxy.

Try to add the two proxy servers to VB&R console by necessary IP-addresses. It will guarantee that VB&R server will communicate with them, using fast dedicated NIC. Furthermore, if specfied proxy servers also have more than one network interface, routing rules should be implemented at both of the proxy servers in order to ensure that the replica data is sent across the needed NICs.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.