Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
steelite_matt
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Vernon

Problem with snapshots - long backup times

Post by steelite_matt »

We have just noticed that our overnight backup is taking much longer than it used to (although it does report as successful).

On investigation in the logs there are a number of servers (5 out of our 13) that are taking a long time to remove snapshots. Most of these are taking between 1 and 13 minutes to do this but one is taking 4 and a half hours (the other ones take less than a minute).

We run our backups overnight so they should all be quiet systems (and looking in the event logs / performance monitors there's nothing there to suggest otherwise)

If I look at the snapshot manager in VMware the VEEAM snapshot is still there for all of these servers.

I'm not sure if this is a VEEAM of VMware issue though?

Many thanks

Matt
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Problem with snapshots - long backup times

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Matt,

It looks like the VMware issue for me. To double check that you can take a snapshot of the "affected' sever via vSphere client snapshot manager and give it some time to live inside (keep the snapshot open for long enough time before deleting it, similar to time it takes to backup the VM), after its done delete it and check how it will be processed. If the behavior is the same as during Veeam then it’s definitely Vmware issue.

In this case you need to dig in to vmware troubleshooting: storage where vmware resides, latency, vmware tools...
steelite_matt
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Vernon

Post by steelite_matt »

I've tried that. Although the delete did take about the same amount of time the snapshot is now gone (unlike the VEEAM one which is still there...)

Thanks

Matt
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Generally, Veeam temporary snapshots should be automatically removed during the next job run, before the backup. Looks like it does not happen. We have another existing topic regarding that issue, worth reviewing. And I also suggest you to open a support case to investigate the job logs for possible reasons.